It will be a showdown between two sensational offenses when the UT Martin Skyhawks (5-9, 1-2 OVC) square off against the Belmont Bruins (11-5, 2-1 OVC) at Skyhawk Arena. Action starts at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 11, 2020.
Belmont Bruins at UT Martin Skyhawks Betting Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Skyhawks beat the Tennessee State Tigers 87-74, while the Bruins won big over the Southeast Missouri State Redhawks 89-64.
The Bruins, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.553, had an extraordinary mark of 0.697 and had a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 15.9). Meanwhile, UT Martin played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.383 (above their season average of 0.219) and a turnover percentage of 15.0 (better than their season average of 15.3). Tennessee State was 0.203 and 22.9, respectively, for those same stats. Parker Stewart had a solid game for UT Martin with 31 points. Meanwhile, Belmont was lifted by Tyler Scanlon, who had 21 points.
The Bruins dominated this series last year, securing victories in both games. In the last matchup, Belmont won 112-67. The Bruins’ turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Skyhawks. Belmont had a rate of 6.1, while UT Martin posted a mark of 11.5. This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
The Bruins’ Scanlon has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 15 points,5.6 rebounds per game. Meanwhile, Quintin Dove has averaged 17 points,7.8 rebounds during that same time frame for the Skyhawks.
This showdown pits one of the country’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. UT Martin currently ranks 36th in offensive efficiency and Belmont is 59th in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Bruins, who rank 343rd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.145), will battle against the Skyhawks, who rank 34th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.161).
Belmont Bruins vs. UT Martin Skyhawks Free Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Belmont, ATS Winner – UT Martin, O/U – Under
- Belmont ranks third in assists per game (18.7) while UT Martin ranks 237th in assists allowed per game (17.3).
- The Bruins average 28.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 21st in the nation. The Skyhawks rank 223rd in three pointers allowed per game (24.9).
- Belmont ranks 33rd in rebounds per game (39.9) while UT Martin ranks 226th (33.4).
- The Skyhawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.4, down from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bruins have scored an average of 79.2 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.4 points per game (3.0 above their season average).