The No. 2 West Virginia Mountaineers (14-1, 3-0 Big 12) put their 14-game winning streak on the line when they meet the Baylor Bears (11-4, 1-2 Big 12) at WVU Coliseum. West Virginia opened as a 9-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 147.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Baylor Bears vs. West Virginia Mountaineers ATS Preview
The last time the Bears played, they were victorious over the Texas Longhorns, 69-60. With 17 points and six rebounds, Jo Lual-Acuil Jr. played well for Baylor. The Bears knocked down 16 of their 21 free throws (76.2 percent) and held the Longhorns to an effective field goal percentage of 0.400 (below their season average of 0.501).
The Mountaineers will look to maintain momentum after beating the No. 7 Oklahoma Sooners in their last game, 89-76. West Virginia received a boost from Jevon Carter, who had 17 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds. West Virginia dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.2 (better than their season average of 13.7) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.6 (below their season average of 37.8). For those same stats, Oklahoma was 19.5 and 29.7, respectively.
This contest figures to be a high-scoring affair as a pair of the NCAA’s best offenses face off. West Virginia currently ranks 40th with 114.9 points per 100 possessions and Baylor is 31st (115.5).
Of Baylor’s 8 games that accepted bets, five have finished under the projected point total, while 6 of West Virginia’s 11 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Mountaineers have a sizable advantage. They are 14-1 SU and 6-5 ATS, while the Bears are 11-4 SU and 4-4 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Bears won the most recent game 71-62. The Bears played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.578 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0. For those same stats, the Mountaineers put up marks of 0.254 and 23.7, respectively.
Baylor Bears at West Virginia Mountaineers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – West Virginia, ATS Winner – Baylor, O/U – Under
- The Bears rank 31st in rebounds allowed per game (31.3) while the Mountaineers rank 126th (34.7).
- Baylor averages 5.4 blocks per game, which ranks 21st in the NCAA. West Virginia ranks 77th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Baylor is 2-2 ATS on the road with 3 unders and 1 push.
- West Virginia is 3-1 ATS at home with 3 unders and 1 over.
- West Virginia ranks 25th in three pointers attempted per game (27.1) while Baylor ranks 196th (19.5).
- The Mountaineers rank sixth in steals per game (10.3) while the Bears rank 154th (5.3).
- West Virginia ranks 43rd in assists per game (16.3) while Baylor ranks 180th in assists allowed per game (14.9).
- West Virginia is 3-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Baylor is 1-2 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- The Mountaineers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 16.6, down from 18.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 79.6 points per game (0.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.8 points per game (5.3 above their season average).