The New York Knicks (5-14) will be 7.5-point underdogs at home in Madison Square Garden when they go head-to-head against the New Orleans Pelicans (10-8). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 237 points and it will air on Fox Sports – New Orleans at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 23, 2018.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. New York Knicks Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last contest. The Knicks (14.5-point underdogs) defeated the Boston Celtics, 117-109, while the Pelicans (3-point underdogs) fell to the Philadelphia 76ers, 121-120. Both games went over their projected point totals. The New York game went 10.5 points over the projected point total of 215.5, while the New Orleans game went 3 points over the projected point total of 238.
New York’s 0.579 effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Boston, who had a rate of 0.443. The Knicks’ mark was above their season average of 0.492, while the Celtics’ was below their season average of 0.506. New Orleans, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.7 (above their season average of 26.1). Trey Burke played a pivotal role for New York with 29 points, 11 assists and six rebounds. Meanwhile, Jrue Holiday had a good game for New Orleans, putting up 30 points and 10 assists.
In their first matchup this year, Anthony Davis led the Pelicans to a 129-124 victory. He recorded a double-double with 43 points and 17 rebounds. The two teams combined to put up 253 points, which was well over the projected point total of 227, and New Orleans was unable to cover as an 11-point favorite. One of New Orleans’ biggest advantages was getting to the free throw line. They had 32 free throw attempts, while New York had 24.
Oddsmakers are known to set the total low when the Pelicans are involved, as 61.1 percent of their games have finished over the total. New Orleans holds records of 10-8 straight up (SU) and 9-9 against the spread (ATS).
Games involving the Knicks also have typically gone over the total (57.9 percent). Further, New York owns records of 5-14 SU and 10-8-1 ATS.
E’Twaun Moore has been impressive recently for New Orleans, averaging 22 points over the last five games.
New Orleans could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their high-powered offense goes up against one of the worst defenses in the league. The Pelicans rank third in offensive efficiency while New York ranks 29th in defensive efficiency.
Pelicans at Knicks Betting Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Over
- The Knicks rank 22 in three pointers attempted per game (29) while the Pelicans rank 25 (27.77777777777778).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (27.3) while New York ranks 29th (18.9).
- The Knicks rank fifth in fast break points allowed per game (11.4) while the Pelicans rank 27th (16.6).
- New Orleans ranks eighth in blocks per game (5.9) while New York ranks 24th in blocks allowed per game (6.4).
- New York ranks 16 in steals per game (7.526315789473684) while New Orleans ranks 23 in steals allowed per game (8.555555555555555).
- The Pelicans average 60.4 points in the paint per game, which ranks first in the NBA. The Knicks rank 26th in points allowed in the paint per game (51.3).
- The Pelicans average 48.22222222222222 rebounds per game, which ranks 5 in the NBA. The Knicks rank 20 in rebounds allowed per game (45.89473684210526).
- New Orleans ranks 19 in points off turnovers per game (16.22222222222222) while New York ranks 22 in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.36842105263158).
- New Orleans ranks first in second chance points per game (17.3) while New York ranks 26th in second chance points allowed per game (15.5).
- In games where they allow under 100 points, New York is 1-0 and New Orleans is 2-0.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Knicks are 5-11 and the Pelicans are 10-7.
- New York is 4-3-1 ATS at home, while New Orleans is 4-5 ATS on the road.
- The Pelicans have 6 overs and 3 unders in 9 road games.
- The Knicks have 4 overs and 4 unders in 8 home games.
- In their last five games, New Orleans and New York are both 3-2 ATS.
- The Pelicans have 4 overs and 1 under over their last five games, while the Knicks have 5 overs,
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 122.8 points per game (3.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 118.6 points per game (1.5 above their season average).
- The Knicks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.0, up from 5.9 for the season.