The Cleveland Cavaliers (8-30) welcome the Utah Jazz (18-20) to Quicken Loans Arena. The Cavaliers are 9-point underdogs and will try to snap their seven-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 208 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Ohio at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 4, 2019.
Utah Jazz vs. Cleveland Cavaliers ATS Odds
Both teams did not cover as underdogs in their last outing. The Cavaliers (5.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Miami Heat, 117-92, while the Jazz (1-point underdogs) fell to the Toronto Raptors, 122-116. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Cleveland game went 6 points over the projected point total of 203, while the Utah game went 29 points over the projected point total of 209.
Utah had a turnover percentage of 3.5 (better than their season average of 14.0) while Cleveland did a great job of converting from the free throw line (11-13; 84.6 percent). Collin Sexton had a solid performance for Cleveland with 12 points. Jae Crowder led the way for Utah, putting up 30 points and six rebounds.
This series was highly competitive last year, as the teams split their two games last season. In the most recent matchup, the Jazz won 104-101. Utah had a better turnover percentage (10.8 vs. 14.0). Cleveland, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (19.1 vs. 11.9). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
It’s tough to find a trend for Jazz games in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Utah comes into the contest with records of 18-20 straight up (SU) and 18-19-1 against the spread (ATS).
Coinciding with to Utah, there does not appear to be a trend for Cavaliers games in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Additionally, Cleveland owns records of 8-30 SU and 18-20 ATS.
The ineffective offense of Cleveland (23rd in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 104.6) will square off against the elite defense of Utah (fifth in the NBA with a defensive efficiency of 104.2). The Jazz should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Jazz at Cavaliers Free Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Over
- The Jazz rank 3 in second chance points allowed per game (11.31578947368421) while the Cavaliers rank 10 (12.68421052631579).
- Cleveland ranks third in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Utah ranks 26th (8.8).
- The Jazz rank 13th in points off turnovers per game (17.2) while the Cavaliers rank 28th (13.2).
- Utah ranks 12th in three pointers attempted per game (32.2) while Cleveland ranks 26th (25.7).
- Utah ranks 3 in fast break points allowed per game (11.210526315789474) while Cleveland ranks 16 (13.631578947368421).
- The Jazz rank 11th in points in the paint per game (49.2) while the Cavaliers rank 28th (42.3).
- The Jazz rank 17 in blocks per game (5.157894736842105) while the Cavaliers rank last (2.5).
- Utah ranks 2 in rebounds allowed per game (42.5) while Cleveland ranks 7 (43.526315789473685).
- Utah ranks first in assists allowed per game (21.1) while Cleveland ranks 18th (24.2).
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Cleveland is 3-3 and Utah is 9-3.
- The Jazz are 16-10 when they reach 100 points, while the Cavaliers are 6-14.
- Cleveland is 7-12 ATS at home, while Utah is 9-12-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 11 of the Cavaliers’ 19 home games, while 12 of the Jazz’s 22 road games have gone under.
- In their last five games, Utah and Cleveland are both 2-3 ATS.
- The Jazz have 3 unders and 2 overs over their last five games, while the Cavaliers have 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 113.0 points per game (5.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 107.2 points per game (1.1 above their season average).
- The Cavaliers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 16.0, up from 9.4 for the season.