The Minnesota Timberwolves (21-23) will be 1-point favorites at home in the Target Center when they meet the San Antonio Spurs (26-20). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 224.5 points and it can be seen on ESPN at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 18, 2019.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Betting Odds
The Spurs defeated the Dallas Mavericks in their last game, 105-101, despite being 2-point underdogs. The Timberwolves, meanwhile, were thoroughly outplayed by the Philadelphia 76ers, 149-107, and were unable to cover as 6-point underdogs. The San Antonio game went 11 points under the projected point total of 217, while the Minnesota game went 22 points over the projected point total of 234.
The Spurs had 9 steals and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.572 (above their season average of 0.534). Minnesota, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (29-35; 82.9 percent). Minnesota was led by Derrick Rose, who had 15 points. Meanwhile, DeMar DeRozan played a key role for San Antonio with 14 points and nine assists.
In three matchups against each other this season, the Spurs have won two. The two teams combined to score 222 points in their most recent game, which was just over the projected point total of 219.5. San Antonio won 124-98, covering as a 4-point favorite. San Antonio launched 33 three pointers, making 19 of them (57.6 percent). Minnesota was, on the other hand, 6-21 (28.6 percent). Bryn Forbes scored a game-high 22 points.
Just over half of the Spurs’ games have finished over the projected point total. San Antonio holds records of 26-20 straight up (SU) and 27-18-1 against the spread (ATS).
Timberwolves games also have a slight tendency to finish over the total (52.3 percent). Moreover, Minnesota is 21-23 SU and 23-21 ATS.
Minnesota could put on a ball-control clinic in this contest. Minnesota ranks third in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.3 percent), while San Antonio forces the fourth-fewest turnovers (12.2 percent).
San Antonio Spurs vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Over
- The Spurs rank 21st in rebounds per game (44.3) while the Timberwolves rank 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (46.0).
- Minnesota ranks fifth in steals per game (9.0) while San Antonio ranks 29th (6.3).
- The Spurs average 24.8 assists per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. The Timberwolves rank 27th in assists allowed per game (25.9).
- Minnesota ranks 11th in points off turnovers per game (17.3) while San Antonio ranks 26th (14.8).
- Minnesota ranks 23rd in three pointers attempted per game (28.5) while San Antonio ranks last (24.4).
- The Timberwolves rank fifth in second chance points per game (14.8) while the Spurs rank 28th (11.5).
- The Timberwolves rank 12th in points in the paint per game (49.1) while the Spurs rank 25th (43.5).
- San Antonio ranks fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.4) while Minnesota ranks 22nd (5.5).
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Minnesota is 8-0 and San Antonio is 11-3.
- The Timberwolves are 21-17 when they reach the century mark, while the Spurs are 25-11.
- San Antonio is 10-11-1 ATS on the road, while Minnesota is 14-8 ATS at home.
- In 22 road games, the Spurs have 13 overs and 9 unders.
- Of the Timberwolves’ 22 home games, they have 12 overs and 10 unders.
- The Timberwolves are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Spurs are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Minnesota has 3 overs and 2 unders, while San Antonio has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 111.8 points per game (0.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 115.4 points per game (3.5 above their season average).
- The Spurs have been outscored by an average of 4.8 points in their last five games. On the season, San Antonio has defeated opponents by an average of 2.4 points.