The New York Knicks (9-29) and the Los Angeles Lakers (21-17) go head-to-head at Staples Center. The Knicks will try to put an end to their eight-game losing streak. The game begins at 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 4, 2019.
New York Knicks vs. Los Angeles Lakers ATS Odds
Both teams lost in their last game. The Lakers (5.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 107-100, while the Knicks (13.5-point underdogs) fell to the Denver Nuggets, 115-108. The Los Angeles game went 22.5 points under the projected point total of 229.5, while the New York game finished 4 points over the projected point total of 219.
New York made 11 of their 27 three pointers (40.7 percent) while Los Angeles had a free throw rate of 0.213 (above their season average of 0.178). Los Angeles received a boost from Josh Hart, who put up 13 points and 15 rebounds. Meanwhile, Enes Kanter played well for New York, putting up 17 points and 12 rebounds.
This series was highly contested last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Lakers won 127-107. The Lakers’ 5.6 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Knicks, who had a mark of 16.6. This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Knicks games have a tendency to finish over the total (55.3 percent). New York heads into the contest with records of 9-29 straight up (SU) and 17-20-1 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike New York, games including the Lakers tend to finish under the total (60.5 percent). Additionally, Los Angeles is 21-17 SU and 16-21-1 ATS.
The Knicks’ Noah Vonleh has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 12 points,11.2 rebounds,1.6 blocks per game. Meanwhile, Brandon Ingram has averaged 19 points,3.2 assists during that same time frame for the Lakers.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Los Angeles figures to have a significant advantage. The upper-echelon Lakers offense ranks third in the NBA in that metric at 0.537, while the suspect New York defense is ranked 29th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.545).
New York Knicks vs. Los Angeles Lakers Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Lakers rank 12 in points off turnovers per game (17.263157894736842) while the Knicks rank 14 in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.763157894736842).
- Los Angeles ranks second in points in the paint per game (55.4) while New York ranks 29th in points allowed in the paint per game (52.9).
- The Lakers average 46.6 rebounds per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Knicks rank 27th in rebounds allowed per game (47.5).
- Los Angeles ranks 13th in assists allowed per game (23.9) while New York ranks 29th (26.2).
- New York ranks 8 in second chance points per game (14.078947368421053) while Los Angeles ranks 14 in second chance points allowed per game (13.236842105263158).
- The Lakers rank second in fast break points per game (20.1) while the Knicks rank 26th (10.1).
- The Lakers average 31.18421052631579 three pointers per game, which ranks 15 in the league. The Knicks rank 21 in three pointers allowed per game (32.3421052631579).
- Los Angeles averages 5.8 blocks per game, which ranks fifth in the league. New York ranks 28th in blocks allowed per game (6.3).
- When allowing below 100 points, Los Angeles is 6-0 and New York is 2-0.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Lakers are 20-15 and the Knicks are 9-21.
- Los Angeles is 8-11-1 ATS at home, while New York is 11-11 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 14 of the Lakers’ 20 home games, while 14 of the Knicks’ 22 road games have gone over.
- In their last five games, New York and Los Angeles have both had 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Lakers are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Knicks are 1-4.
- During their last five games, the Lakers have scored an average of 114.2 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.4 points per game (0.1 above their season average).
- The Knicks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 15.2, up from 8.3 for the season.