A five-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the Portland Trail Blazers (27-19), who will be 2.5-point favorites when they take on the New Orleans Pelicans (21-24) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 232.5 points and action begins at 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 18, 2019.
New Orleans Pelicans at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Odds
In the Trail Blazers’ last game, they covered the 14.5-point spread against the Cleveland Cavaliers, 129-112. The Pelicans, on the other hand, were beat by the Golden State Warriors, 147-140, and failed to cover as 7-point underdogs. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Portland game finished 23.5 points over the projected point total of 217.5, while the New Orleans game went 44 points over the projected point total of 243.
The Trail Blazers made 19 of their 23 free throws (82.6 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.618 (above their season average of 0.519). New Orleans, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (27-33; 81.8 percent). Jusuf Nurkic played well for Portland, registering 10 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists on his way to his zeroth triple-double this year. Meanwhile, New Orleans was led by Anthony Davis, who finished with 30 points, 18 rebounds and seven assists.
In their first matchup this season, Damian Lillard led the Trail Blazers to a 132-119 win. He produced 26 points, seven rebounds and six assists. Portland covered as an 8-point favorite and the two teams combined to score 251 points, which was well over the projected point total of 229.5. Portland made 18 of their 35 three pointers (51.4 percent), while New Orleans was 8-29 (27.6 percent).
Just over half of the Pelicans’ games have finished over the O/U total. New Orleans heads into the game with records of 21-24 straight up (SU) and 20-24-1 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to New Orleans, Trail Blazers games have a slight tendency to go under the O/U total (54.3 percent). Further, Portland is 27-19 SU and 24-22 ATS.
Portland should have an edge on the offensive glass in this matchup. The Trail Blazers currently rank seventh in offensive rebounding percentage (24.9 percent), while New Orleans ranks 17th in defensive rebounding percentage (77.0 percent).
New Orleans Pelicans at Portland Trail Blazers Free Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans average 14.5 fast break points per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. The Trail Blazers rank 20th in fast break points allowed per game (14.3).
- New Orleans ranks fourth in assists per game (27.1) while Portland ranks 25th (22.2).
- The Trail Blazers rank ninth in three pointers allowed per game (29.7) while the Pelicans rank 25th (33.6).
- Portland ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while New Orleans ranks 20th (17.4).
- New Orleans ranks 18th in steals per game (7.5) while Portland ranks 28th (6.5).
- The Pelicans rank first in points in the paint per game (58.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 21st (46.8).
- The Pelicans average 5.5 blocks per game, which ranks seventh in the league. The Trail Blazers rank 18th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Portland ranks third in rebounds per game (48.0) while New Orleans ranks eighth in rebounds allowed per game (43.9).
- New Orleans averages 15.0 second chance points per game, which ranks third in the league. Portland ranks 20th in second chance points allowed per game (13.8).
- Portland is 8-1 when they allow less than 100 points, while New Orleans is 4-0.
- The Pelicans are 21-22 when they reach the century mark, while the Trail Blazers are 26-14.
- Portland is 16-10 ATS at home, while New Orleans is 9-14-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 13 of the Pelicans’ 24 road games, while 15 of the Trail Blazers’ 26 home games have gone under.
- The Trail Blazers are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 3-1-1.
- In their last five games, Portland has 4 overs and 1 under, while New Orleans has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Trail Blazers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 2.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 124.2 points per game (6.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 118.6 points per game (3.1 above their season average).