The Los Angeles Clippers (21-16), 4-point favorites, will be at Talking Stick Resort Arena to square off with the Phoenix Suns (9-30) in a Pacific Division matchup. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 233 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Arizona at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, January 4, 2019.
Los Angeles Clippers at Phoenix Suns ATS Odds
Both teams failed to cover as underdogs in their last contest. The Clippers (1.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Philadelphia 76ers, 119-113, while the Suns (3.5-point underdogs) fell to the Philadelphia 76ers, 132-127. The Los Angeles game went 4.5 points under the projected point total of 236.5, while the Phoenix game finished 30.5 points over the projected point total of 228.5.
Los Angeles forced Philadelphia into a turnover percentage of 16.5 (above their season average of 13.0) while Phoenix had a better turnover percentage (11.9 vs. 14.8). Phoenix rallied around Devin Booker, who put up 37 points and eight assists. Meanwhile, Montrezl Harrell was a key piece for Los Angeles with 20 points and 10 rebounds.
In their two matchups this season, the Clippers have won both. In their most recent game, the two teams combined to score 242 points, well over the projected point total of 223. Los Angeles won 123-119 but was unable to cover as a 9.5-point favorite. Getting to the free throw line was one of Los Angeles’ biggest advantages. They made 33 trips to the line, while Phoenix went 20 times. Tobias Harris was the game’s top overall scorer with 33 points.
Oddsmakers have a tendency to place the total low when the Clippers are involved, as 62.2 percent of their games have finished over the total. Los Angeles comes into the game with records of 21-16 straight up (SU) and 21-16 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Los Angeles, games involving the Suns have a slight tendency to finish under the projected point total (53.8 percent). Moreover, Phoenix is 9-30 SU and 17-22 ATS.
Lou Williams has really been playing well as of late for Los Angeles, averaging 21 points,6.4 assists over the last five games.
The physical Los Angeles offense looks poised to dominate from the foul line. The Clippers currently rank first in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.270, while Phoenix ranks 29th in FTA rate allowed (0.233).
Los Angeles Clippers at Phoenix Suns Free Pick
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Over
- The Clippers rank 19 in second chance points per game (12.783783783783784) while the Suns rank 28 (11.384615384615385).
- Phoenix ranks fifth in steals per game (8.9) while Los Angeles ranks last (6.2).
- The Suns rank ninth in points off turnovers per game (17.9) while the Clippers rank 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.8).
- Los Angeles ranks 12th in rebounds per game (45.8) while Phoenix ranks 28th (40.9).
- Los Angeles ranks 16 in assists allowed per game (24.08108108108108) while Phoenix ranks 26 (25.58974358974359).
- The Clippers average 51.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks eighth in the league. The Suns rank 28th in points allowed in the paint per game (52.8).
- The Suns rank 15 in fast break points per game (13.41025641025641) while the Clippers rank 25 in fast break points allowed per game (15.72972972972973).
- Phoenix ranks 20 in three pointers attempted per game (29.666666666666668) while Los Angeles ranks 28 (24.62162162162162).
- Phoenix ranks seventh in blocks allowed per game (4.7) while Los Angeles ranks 26th (6.0).
- Los Angeles and Phoenix are both 3-1 when they allow under 100 points.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Clippers are 21-11 and the Suns are 8-18.
- Los Angeles is 10-9 ATS on the road, while Phoenix is 9-11 ATS at home.
- The Clippers have 11 overs and 8 unders in 19 road games.
- The Suns have 11 unders and 9 overs in 20 home games.
- The Clippers are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Suns are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Los Angeles has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Phoenix has 4 overs and 1 under.
- During their last five games, the Clippers have scored an average of 119.2 points per game (3.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 119.0 points per game (4.2 above their season average).
- The Suns’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.2, up from 8.8 for the season.