The Detroit Pistons (39-39) will travel to Chesapeake Energy Arena to take on the Oklahoma City Thunder (45-33). Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, April 5, 2019, and can be seen on Fox SportsNet Oklahoma.
Detroit Pistons vs. Oklahoma City Thunder ATS Odds
In the Thunder’s last matchup, they covered the 13-point spread against the Los Angeles Lakers, 119-103. The Pistons, meanwhile, were thoroughly outplayed by the Indiana Pacers, 108-89, and failed to cover as 2.5-point underdogs. The Oklahoma City game went 3.5 points under the projected point total of 225.5, while the Detroit game went 8.5 points under the projected point total of 205.5.
Oklahoma City played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 32.7 (above their season average of 25.6) and a turnover percentage of 9.8 (better than their season average of 11.5). Los Angeles recorded marks of 10.8 and 19.2, respectively, for those same stats. Detroit, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.200 (above their season average of 0.194). Russell Westbrook led the way for Oklahoma City with 20 points, 21 assists and 20 rebounds to register his 30th triple-double this year. Meanwhile, Andre Drummond led the way for Detroit, recording 28 points and 19 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Paul George led the Thunder to a 110-83 victory. He notched a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds. The two teams combined for 193 points, which was well under the projected point total of 218, and Oklahoma City covered as a 2-point favorite. Oklahoma City had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.547 vs. 0.362). Detroit, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (12.8 vs. 15.3).
Games involving the Pistons have a slight tendency to finish under the O/U total (51.3 percent). Detroit heads into the contest with records of 39-39 straight up (SU) and 41-36-1 against the spread (ATS).
Thunder games also have a slight tendency to finish under the O/U total (51.3 percent). Additionally, Oklahoma City is 45-33 SU and 39-39 ATS.
It will be a matchup of contrasting styles as the fast-paced Thunder (ranked second in the NBA in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Pistons (27th in possessions per game). Moreover, the 21st-ranked offense of the Pistons (offensive efficiency of 107.0) will face a difficult test against the fifth-ranked defense of the Thunder (defensive efficiency of 105.2).
Pistons vs. Thunder Free Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Thunder, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank first in three pointers allowed per game (27.7) while the Thunder rank 11th (31.1).
- Oklahoma City ranks fifth in fast break points per game (18.0) while Detroit ranks 29th (9.9).
- The Thunder rank first in points off turnovers per game (19.5) while the Pistons rank 17th (15.9).
- Oklahoma City ranks third in rebounds per game (47.8) while Detroit ranks 18th (44.9).
- Oklahoma City ranks second in second chance points per game (15.4) while Detroit ranks 14th (13.3).
- The Thunder rank first in steals per game (9.5) while the Pistons rank 22nd (6.9).
- The Thunder average 51.8 points in the paint per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The Pistons rank 19th in points allowed in the paint per game (50.1).
- Oklahoma City ranks 23rd in assists per game (23.1) while Detroit ranks 25th (22.6).
- Oklahoma City ranks 11th in blocks per game (5.3) while Detroit ranks 28th (4.0).
- Oklahoma City is 11-0 when they allow below 100 points, while Detroit is 14-3.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Pistons are 35-24 and the Thunder are 41-26.
- Detroit is 20-19 ATS on the road, while Oklahoma City is 19-20 ATS at home.
- The Pistons have 22 unders, 16 overs and 1 push in 39 road games.
- The Thunder have 20 overs, 18 unders and 1 push in 39 home games.
- In their last five games, Detroit and Oklahoma City have both had 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pistons are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Thunder are 2-3.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 99.4 points per game (7.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 100.4 points per game (7.2 below their season average).
- The Thunder have been outscored by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Oklahoma City has defeated opponents by an average of 3.2 points.