The New Orleans Pelicans (15-20) and the Dallas Mavericks (16-17) go head-to-head at Smoothie King Center. The Pelicans are 4.5-point favorites and will try to snap their five-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 230 points and it can be seen on NBATV at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 28, 2018.
Dallas Mavericks vs. New Orleans Pelicans ATS Odds
The Mavericks evened the season series at one with a 122-119 win in their most recent contest. In the loss, Davis had a double-double with 32 points and 18 rebounds. Dallas made good use of their 38 trips to the free throw line, converting on 32 of them (84.2 percent). New Orleans, on the other hand, was 23-30 (76.7 percent). The two teams combined to put up 241 points, which was over the projected point total of 228.5, and Dallas covered as a 2.5-point favorite.
Of the Mavericks’ 33 games, 19 have finished over the projected point total. Dallas holds records of 16-17 straight up (SU) and 20-13 against the spread (ATS).
A little over half of Pelicans games have finished over the O/U total. Further, New Orleans is 15-20 SU and 15-20 ATS.
Luka Doncic and DeAndre Jordan have been playing well over the last five games for Dallas. Doncic has averaged 25 points,7.4 assists,6.0 rebounds,1.4 steals per game, while Jordan has recorded 18 rebounds,11.2 points a game during that span.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, New Orleans should have a noteworthy edge. The elite Pelicans offense ranks ninth in the league in that metric at 0.531, while the Dallas defense is ranked 21st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.529).
Mavericks vs. Pelicans Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank 1 in second chance points per game (15.571428571428571) while the Mavericks rank 10 (13.93939393939394).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (27.1) while Dallas ranks 21st (22.9).
- The Mavericks rank seventh in three pointers attempted per game (33.8) while the Pelicans rank 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (33.1).
- New Orleans ranks 14th in fast-break points per game (13.5) while Dallas ranks 29th in fast-break points allowed per game (16.4).
- Dallas ranks 17 in steals per game (7.606060606060606) while New Orleans ranks 27 in steals allowed per game (8.657142857142857).
- The Pelicans rank ninth in blocks per game (5.6) while the Mavericks rank 27th (4.5).
- The Mavericks rank 4 in rebounds allowed per game (42.93939393939394) while the Pelicans rank 15 (44.51428571428571).
- Dallas averages 17.12121212121212 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 13 in the NBA. New Orleans ranks 19 in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.285714285714285).
- New Orleans ranks first in points in the paint per game (57.5) while Dallas ranks 19th (47.0).
- New Orleans is 2-0 when they allow less than 100 points, while Dallas is 4-2.
- The Pelicans are 15-18 when they score more than 100 points, while the Mavericks are 16-15.
- New Orleans is 8-8 ATS at home, while Dallas is 7-9 ATS on the road.
- Of the Mavericks’ 16 road games, they have 10 overs and 6 unders.
- In 16 home games, the Pelicans have 8 overs, 7 unders and 1 push.
- The Mavericks are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Dallas has 5 overs, while New Orleans has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 119.0 points per game (8.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 122.2 points per game (12.0 above their season average).
- The Pelicans have been outscored by an average of 6.0 points in their last five games. For the season, New Orleans has defeated opponents by an average of 0.8 points.