The Dallas Mavericks (18-19) will travel to TD Garden to square off against the Boston Celtics (22-15). Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 4, 2019.
Dallas Mavericks at Boston Celtics Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last contest. The Celtics (6-point favorites) defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves 115-102, while the Mavericks (1.5-point underdog) beat the Charlotte Hornets 122-84. The Boston game finished 2 points over the projected point total of 215, while the Dallas game finished 15.5 points under the projected point total of 221.5.
Dallas played a flawless game. They had a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.558 (above their season average of 0.524) and a turnover percentage of 8.9 (better than their season average of 13.8). For those same stats, Charlotte had marks of 0.389 and 12.5, respectively. Meanwhile, Boston’s 0.671 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Minnesota, who had a mark of 0.524. The Celtics’ mark was above their season average of 0.527. Boston was lifted by Gordon Hayward, who contributed 35 points and five assists. Luka Doncic had a solid performance for Dallas, contributing 18 points and 10 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, DeAndre Jordan led the Mavericks to a 113-104 win. He recorded a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds. The two teams combined to put up 217 points, which was just over the projected point total of 213, and Dallas covered as a 2.5-point underdog. The Mavericks’ 28.3 offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over the Celtics, who had a mark of 23.1.
Of the Mavericks’ 37 games, 19 have finished over the projected point total. Dallas heads into the game with records of 18-19 straight up (SU) and 23-14 against the spread (ATS).
Games featuring the Celtics have typically finished over the total (64.9 percent). Additionally, Boston is 22-15 SU and 19-18 ATS.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Dallas. Dallas ranks 28th in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.0 percent), while the pesky defense of Boston forces the fifth-most turnovers in the league (15.1 percent).
Dallas Mavericks at Boston Celtics Odds Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank 5 in points allowed in the paint per game (44.75675675675676) while the Mavericks rank 14 (47.945945945945944).
- Boston ranks fourth in fast break points allowed per game (11.6) while Dallas ranks 28th (16.7).
- The Mavericks average 34.3 three pointers per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. The Celtics rank 19th in three pointers allowed per game (32.2).
- Dallas ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (43.2) while Boston ranks 19th (45.4).
- Boston ranks 4 in assists allowed per game (22.43243243243243) while Dallas ranks 14 (24.054054054054053).
- The Celtics rank second in steals allowed per game (7.0) while the Mavericks rank 25th (8.7).
- The Celtics rank 14 in blocks per game (5.351351351351352) while the Mavericks rank 26 (4.45945945945946).
- Boston ranks third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.5) while Dallas ranks 19th (17.2).
- When allowing below 100 points, Dallas is 5-2 and Boston is 7-2.
- The Celtics are 22-12 when they score over 100 points, while the Mavericks are 18-17.
- Dallas is 9-10 ATS on the road, while Boston is 11-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 11 of the Celtics’ 17 home games, while 10 of the Mavericks’ 19 road games have gone over.
- The Mavericks are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Celtics are 3-2.
- In their last five games, Dallas has 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push, while Boston has 5 overs.
- The Mavericks’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.2, up from 1.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 114.4 points per game (2.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.2 points per game (7.3 above their season average).