The Utah Jazz (25-21) welcome the Cleveland Cavaliers (9-36) to Vivint Smart Home Arena. The Jazz are a 15-point favorite and look to extend their five-game winning streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 214.5 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Ohio at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, January 18, 2019.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Utah Jazz Betting Odds
In the Jazz’s previous game, they thoroughly outplayed the Los Angeles Clippers, 129-109, as 1-point underdogs. The Cavaliers, on the other hand, were beat by the Portland Trail Blazers, 129-112, and failed to cover as 14.5-point underdogs. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Utah game went 14.5 points over the projected point total of 223.5, while the Cleveland game finished 23.5 points over the projected point total of 217.5.
The Jazz knocked down 30 of their 37 free throws (81.1 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.576 (above their season average of 0.526). Cleveland, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 2.8 (better than their season average of 11.8). Utah rallied around Rudy Gobert, who put up 23 points and 22 rebounds. Meanwhile, Ante Zizic played a key role for Cleveland with 16 points and eight rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Gobert led the Jazz to a 117-91 victory. He put up 12 points, seven rebounds and five blocks. Utah covered as a 10-point favorite and the two teams combined to score 208 points, which was just over the projected point total of 207.5. The Jazz’s 20.0 offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over the Cavaliers, who had a mark of 15.2.
Of the Cavaliers’ 45 games, 24 have finished over the O/U total. Cleveland heads into the game with records of 9-36 straight up (SU) and 20-25 against the spread (ATS).
There does not appear to be a trend for games featuring the Jazz in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Further, Utah owns records of 25-21 SU and 23-22-1 ATS.
Utah should have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Jazz rank eighth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.511), while Cleveland is 28th in effective field goal percentage (0.497).
Cleveland Cavaliers at Utah Jazz Free Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Over
- The Jazz rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (11.3) while the Cavaliers rank 11th (12.8).
- Utah ranks first in assists allowed per game (20.8) while Cleveland ranks 22nd (24.9).
- The Jazz rank 13th in points off turnovers per game (17.0) while the Cavaliers rank last (13.4).
- Utah ranks 13th in three pointers attempted per game (32.8) while Cleveland ranks 27th (25.8).
- Utah ranks 15th in points in the paint per game (48.4) while Cleveland ranks 26th (43.4).
- The Cavaliers rank fifth in steals allowed per game (7.0) while the Jazz rank 25th (8.7).
- The Jazz rank second in fast break points allowed per game (10.9) while the Cavaliers rank 15th (13.4).
- Utah ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (42.7) while Cleveland ranks sixth (43.5).
- Utah ranks 10th in blocks per game (5.4) while Cleveland ranks 28th (2.6).
- When allowing below 100 points, Cleveland is 4-3 and Utah is 13-3.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Jazz are 23-11 and the Cavaliers are 7-18.
- Cleveland is 12-11 ATS on the road, while Utah is 11-9 ATS at home.
- Of the Cavaliers’ 23 road games, they have 12 unders, 10 overs and 1 push.
- The Jazz have 10 overs and 10 unders in 20 home games.
- The Jazz are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Cavaliers are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Utah has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Cleveland has 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Jazz’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.0, up from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 113.0 points per game (10.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 125.6 points per game (12.0 above their season average).