The Brooklyn Nets (18-21) will travel to FedExForum to challenge the Memphis Grizzlies (18-19). Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 4, 2019, and can be seen on YES Network.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Memphis Grizzlies ATS Odds
The Nets come in on a high note after topping the New Orleans Pelicans in their last game, 126-121, as 2-point underdogs. The Grizzlies, on the other hand, were beaten by the Detroit Pistons, 101-94, and were unable to cover as 6.5-point underdogs. The Brooklyn game finished 17 points over the projected point total of 230, while the Memphis game finished 3 points under the projected point total of 198.
Brooklyn played a nearly perfect game. They had a great turnover percentage of 8.9 (better than their season average of 12.6) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.9 (above their season average of 25.1). New Orleans was 10.8 and 24.4, respectively, for those same stats. Memphis, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (18-21; 85.7 percent). Memphis was lifted by Jaren Jackson Jr., who put up 26 points and 10 rebounds. Meanwhile, D’Angelo Russell played well for Brooklyn, contributing 22 points, 13 assists and five rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Mike Conley led the Grizzlies to a 131-125 victory. He registered a double-double with 37 points and 10 assists. Memphis covered as a 2.5-point favorite and the two teams combined for 256 points, which was well over the projected point total of 206. Memphis was lights out from beyond the arc (12-30; 40.0 percent). Brooklyn, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (25-30; 83.3 percent).
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Nets games, with 19 overs compared to 19 unders. Brooklyn holds records of 18-21 straight up (SU) and 20-19 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Grizzlies’ 37 games, 22 have finished under the projected point total. Moreover, Memphis owns records of 18-19 SU and 17-20 ATS.
It could be an error-filled game for the Brooklyn offense. Brooklyn ranks 19th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 13.9 percent), while the gambling defense of Memphis forces the third-most turnovers in the NBA (15.7 percent).
Brooklyn Nets at Memphis Grizzlies Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Nets rank 15 in rebounds per game (45.07692307692308) while the Grizzlies rank last (39.54054054054054).
- Memphis ranks second in blocks per game (6.1) while Brooklyn ranks 29th (4.0).
- The Grizzlies rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (11.6) while the Nets rank 25th (14.7).
- Memphis ranks second in points allowed in the paint per game (41.3) while Brooklyn ranks 22nd (50.7).
- Brooklyn ranks 7 in three pointers attempted per game (33.82051282051282) while Memphis ranks 25 (26.864864864864863).
- The Nets rank second in fast break points allowed per game (10.0) while the Grizzlies rank 24th (15.0).
- The Grizzlies rank 7 in points off turnovers per game (18.27027027027027) while the Nets rank 26 (14.64102564102564).
- Memphis ranks sixth in steals per game (8.8) while Brooklyn ranks 27th (6.7).
- When allowing under 100 points, Brooklyn is 5-1 and Memphis is 10-3.
- The Grizzlies are 12-6 when they score more than 100 points, while the Nets are 17-16.
- Brooklyn is 10-8 ATS on the road, while Memphis is 9-9 ATS at home.
- Of the Nets’ 18 road games, they have 11 unders, 6 overs and 1 push.
- The Grizzlies have 10 unders, 7 overs and 1 push in 18 home games.
- The Nets are 2-3 ATS over their last five games, while the Grizzlies are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Brooklyn has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Memphis has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- During their last five games, the Nets have scored an average of 114.6 points per game (3.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 117.0 points per game (5.0 above their season average).
- The Grizzlies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.4, up from 0.7 for the season.