The Los Angeles Clippers (11-6), 3.5-point favorites, will have their hands full against the league’s top scoring defense when they go head-to-head against the Memphis Grizzlies (12-5) at Staples Center. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 214.5 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Southeast at 3:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 23, 2018.
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Clippers ATS Odds
The Grizzlies will be looking for similar success after barely hanging on to beat the San Antonio Spurs in their last outing, 104-103, as 2.5-point underdogs. The Clippers, meanwhile, were topped by the Washington Wizards, 125-118, and were unable to cover as 1-point underdogs. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Memphis game went 7.5 points over the projected point total of 199.5, while the Los Angeles game went 8.5 points over the projected point total of 234.5.
Memphis’ effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over San Antonio. The Grizzlies had a rate of 0.531 (above their season average of 0.515), while the Spurs posted a mark of 0.475. Los Angeles, meanwhile, was lights out from beyond the arc (11-27; 40.7 percent). Tobias Harris played a pivotal role for Los Angeles with 29 points and nine rebounds. Meanwhile, Mike Conley led the way for Memphis, putting up 30 points and nine assists.
This was a highly contested series last year. Each won two of the four games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Clippers won 109-100. The Clippers’ turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Grizzlies. Los Angeles had a rate of 9.7, while Memphis posted a mark of 17.6. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Matchups involving the Grizzlies have typically gone under the projected point total (58.8 percent). Memphis comes into the contest with records of 12-5 straight up (SU) and 12-5 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Memphis, Clippers games have a tendency to go over the O/U total (64.7 percent). Moreover, Los Angeles is 11-6 SU and 10-7 ATS.
The Grizzlies’ Marc Gasol has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 21 points,10.4 rebounds,2.0 blocks per game. Meanwhile, Montrezl Harrell has averaged 21 points,8.8 rebounds,1.8 blocks,1.4 steals during that same time frame for the Clippers.
The aggressive Los Angeles offense could be living from the foul line in this showdown. The Clippers rank first in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.274, while Memphis ranks 23rd in FTA rate allowed (0.221). Furthermore, the Grizzlies rank fifth in turnover percentage (12.9 percent), while the Clippers rank 30th in opponents’ turnover percentage (10.9 percent).
Grizzlies vs. Clippers Odds Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Over
- The Grizzlies rank 26 in three pointers attempted per game (27.58823529411765) while the Clippers rank 27 (25.529411764705884).
- Memphis ranks second in steals per game (9.4) while Los Angeles ranks last (5.6).
- The Grizzlies rank fifth in second chance points allowed per game (11.5) while the Clippers rank 25th (15.4).
- Los Angeles ranks ninth in rebounds per game (46.6) while Memphis ranks 29th (38.9).
- Los Angeles ranks 17 in fast break points per game (12.176470588235293) while Memphis ranks 24 in fast break points allowed per game (16).
- The Grizzlies rank third in points off turnovers per game (20.4) while the Clippers rank 29th (14.3).
- The Clippers rank 5 in points in the paint per game (53.05882352941177) while the Grizzlies rank 22 (45.05882352941177).
- Memphis ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.7) while Los Angeles ranks 25th (6.5).
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Memphis is 6-2 and Los Angeles is 2-0.
- The Grizzlies are 9-2 when they reach the century mark, while the Clippers are 11-5.
- Los Angeles is 6-2 ATS at home, while Memphis is 5-4 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 5 of the Clippers’ 8 home games, while 6 of the Grizzlies’ 9 road games have gone under.
- The Grizzlies are 5-0 ATS over their last five games, while the Clippers are 3-2.
- In their last five games, Memphis has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Los Angeles has 5 overs.
- The Grizzlies’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.0, up from 2.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Clippers have scored an average of 121.8 points per game (3.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 118.0 points per game (4.5 above their season average).