Expect a fast-paced game when the Detroit Pistons (5-5), 5-point favorites, head to Atlanta to play the Hawks (3-8). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 226 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 9, 2018.
Detroit Pistons vs. Atlanta Hawks ATS Odds
The Pistons will be looking for similar success after covering the 2.5-point spread against the Orlando Magic in their last game, 103-96. The Hawks, meanwhile, were topped by the New York Knicks, 112-107, and failed to cover as 1.5-point underdogs. The Detroit game went 14 points under the projected point total of 213, while the Atlanta game finished 6.5 points under the projected point total of 225.5.
Detroit dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.200 (below their season average of 0.225) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.7 (above their season average of 25.6). Orlando was 0.080 and 14.0, respectively, for those same stats. Atlanta, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.8 (above their season average of 19.3). Omari Spellman had a good game for Atlanta with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Andre Drummond played well for Detroit, finishing with 23 points and 19 rebounds.
The Pistons captured this series last year, taking three out of four games. In the most recent game, Detroit won 104-98. Detroit was effective at getting and making free throws. The Pistons made 21 of their 25 free throws (84.0 percent), while the Hawks were 16-19 (84.2 percent). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Vegas has been spot on when setting the O/U total of Pistons games, with an even split between overs and unders. Detroit heads into the game with records of 5-5 straight up (SU) and 4-6 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Hawks games, with 6 overs compared to 5 unders. Further, Atlanta is 3-8 SU and 4-7 ATS.
There could be a fair amount of transition action in this battle that showcases two of the league’s more fast-paced teams. Atlanta ranks second in possessions per game (108.4) and Detroit is fifth (106.9).
Pistons vs. Hawks Odds Pick
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Over
- The Pistons rank 14th in steals allowed per game (7.5) while the Hawks rank 25th (9.5).
- Detroit averages 16.4 second chance points per game, which ranks second in the league. Atlanta ranks 28th in second chance points allowed per game (17.5).
- The Pistons rank ninth in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.1) while the Hawks rank 29th (23.7).
- Detroit averages 49.5 rebounds per game, which ranks fourth in the league. Atlanta ranks 24th in rebounds allowed per game (48.2).
- Detroit ranks 11th in three pointers attempted per game (32.8) while Atlanta ranks 24th in three pointers allowed per game (33.4).
- The Pistons rank third in fast break points allowed per game (10.8) while the Hawks rank 26th (17.1).
- The Hawks rank eighth in assists per game (25.3) while the Pistons rank 28th (19.8).
- Atlanta averages 48.9 points in the paint per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. Detroit ranks 20th in points allowed in the paint per game (49.4).
- Atlanta ranks third in blocks per game (6.5) while Detroit ranks 23rd (3.7).
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Atlanta is 0-1 and Detroit is 1-0.
- When scoring more than 100 points, the Pistons are 5-3 and the Hawks are 3-6.
- Atlanta is 2-3 ATS at home, while Detroit is 3-2 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 3 of the Pistons’ 5 road games, while 3 of the Hawks’ 5 home games have gone under.
- In their last five games, Detroit and Atlanta have both had 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pistons are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Hawks are 2-3.
- The Pistons’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.4, up from 1.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 112.2 points per game (2.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 125.0 points per game (6.2 above their season average).