The East Tennessee State Buccaneers (15-4, 5-1 SoCon) and the VMI Keydets (6-11, 0-5 SoCon) battle at Freedom Hall Civic Center. The Buccaneers look to prolong their seven-game winning streak. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 17, 2019.
VMI Keydets vs. East Tennessee State Buccaneers ATS Odds
In their last matchup, the Buccaneers were victorious over the Mercer Bears, 72-68, while the Keydets were beaten by the Wofford Terriers, 90-76.
East Tennessee State won the rebounding battle. The Buccaneers had 27 offensive rebounds and 50 total rebounds, while the Bears had six and 23, respectively. VMI, on the other hand, was on fire from beyond the arc (11-27; 40.7 percent). Jeromy Rodriguez played well for East Tennessee State, contributing 20 points and 18 rebounds. Meanwhile, VMI was led by Garrett Gilkeson, who recorded 17 points and seven rebounds.
The Buccaneers dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the most recent matchup, East Tennessee State won 70-56. Making free throws was one of East Tennessee State’s largest strengths. They were 18-20 (90.0 percent), while the Keydets were just 7-10 (70.0 percent). This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
East Tennessee State could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their high-powered offense squares off against one of the worst defenses in the country. The Buccaneers currently rank 48th in offensive efficiency, while VMI ranks 276th in defensive efficiency. Also, the Keydets, who rank 322nd in offensive rebounding percentage (23.7 percent), might struggle to get put-back points against the Buccaneers, who rank fifth in defensive rebounding percentage (78.5 percent).
VMI at East Tennessee State ATS Pick
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – East Tennessee State, ATS Winner – East Tennessee State, O/U – Under
- East Tennessee State ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (28.5) while VMI ranks 238th (39.3).
- The Buccaneers rank 66th in steals per game (7.4) while the Keydets rank 133rd in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- East Tennessee State blocks 3.8 opponent shots per game, which ranks 73rd in the country. VMI ranks 106th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- The Keydets rank 18th in three pointers attempted per game (28.2) while the Buccaneers rank 182nd in three pointers allowed per game (23.7).
- East Tennessee State ranks 39th in assists per game (15.9) while VMI ranks 197th in assists allowed per game (15.3).
- During their last five games, the Buccaneers have scored an average of 85.2 points per game (4.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.8 points per game (2.4 above their season average).
- The Keydets’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 11.2, up from 4.1 for the season.