The UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros (8-6) will have their hands full against the nation’s top shooting defense when they clash against the 11th-ranked Texas Tech Red Raiders (10-1) at United Supermarkets Arena. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 28, 2018.
UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros at Texas Tech Red Raiders Betting Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Red Raiders had no trouble getting past the UIW Cardinals 87-37, while the Vaqueros were victorious over the Texas A&M-Commerce Lions 91-84.
The Vaqueros had a much better turnover percentage (6.5 vs. 21.6) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.479 vs. 0.462). The Red Raiders, meanwhile, had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.675 vs. 0.286) and had a much better turnover percentage (18.2 vs. 34.6). Jarrett Culver had a good game for Texas Tech, finishing with 16 points. UT Rio Grande Valley, meanwhile, was led by Terry Winn III, who recorded 18 points and six rebounds.
The Vaqueros’ Lesley Varner II has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 0 points per game. Meanwhile, Culver has averaged 0 points during that same time frame for the Red Raiders.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Texas Tech figures to have a noteworthy edge. The Red Raiders defense ranks first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.375), while the UT Rio Grande Valley offense is ranked 345th in effective field goal percentage (0.431). Additionally, the Vaqueros rank 52nd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.286), while the Red Raiders rank 256th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.254).
UT Rio Grande Valley vs. Texas Tech ATS Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Texas Tech, O/U – Under
- Texas Tech ranks 26th in rebounds allowed per game (30.6) while UT Rio Grande Valley ranks 244th (41.9).
- The Vaqueros rank eighth in steals per game (9.6) while the Red Raiders rank 81st in steals allowed per game (6.3).
- UT Rio Grande Valley allows the 11th-fewest three pointers per game (17.7) while Texas Tech ranks 56th (20.4).
- The Red Raiders rank first in assists allowed per game (8.3) while the Vaqueros rank 104th (12.9).
- Texas Tech ranks 22nd in blocks per game (5.2) while UT Rio Grande Valley ranks 112th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- The Red Raiders’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 26.8, up from 22.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Vaqueros have scored an average of 75.4 points per game (6.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (4.6 above their season average).