The UNCG Spartans (15-3, 4-1 SoCon) will be at the Ramsey Center to go head-to-head with the Western Carolina Catamounts (5-14, 2-4 SoCon) in a SoCon matchup. The game is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 17, 2019.
UNCG Spartans vs. Western Carolina Catamounts ATS Odds
Both teams were victorious over their last opponent. The Catamounts defeated the Citadel Bulldogs 94-82, while the Spartans beat the Furman Paladins 89-79.
The Spartans forced 21 turnovers and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 45.2 (above their season average of 29.6). Meanwhile, Western Carolina dominated nearly every facet of their game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.638 (above their season average of 0.532) and a free throw rate of 0.345 (above their season average of 0.226). For those same stats, Citadel was 0.392 and 0.253, respectively. Western Carolina’s Kameron Gibson had a good outing, recording 16 points. UNCG, meanwhile, received a boost from Isaiah Miller, who had 25 points and five rebounds.
The Spartans dominated this series last year, securing victories in both games. In the most recent matchup, UNCG won 65-48. UNCG’s free throw rate was their biggest strength over Western Carolina. The Spartans had a rate of 0.283, while the Catamounts posted a mark of 0.170. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the Western Carolina offense. Western Carolina ranks 353rd in the country in ball protection (turnover percentage of 26.8 percent), while the disruptive defense of UNCG forces the seventh-most turnovers in the country (25.1 percent). Moreover, the Spartans rank 52nd in offensive efficiency (112.7), while the Catamounts rank 317th in defensive efficiency (109.9).
UNCG at Western Carolina Pick
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Western Carolina, ATS Winner – Western Carolina, O/U – Over
- UNCG ranks 24th in steals per game (8.6) while Western Carolina ranks 192nd (4.7).
- The Catamounts rank 41st in rebounds allowed per game (31.9) while the Spartans rank 91st (33.8).
- UNCG ranks 46th in three pointers allowed per game (19.9) while Western Carolina ranks 73rd (20.9).
- The Spartans rank 28th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Catamounts rank 146th (4.4).
- UNCG ranks 30th in assists allowed per game (10.7) while Western Carolina ranks 83rd (12.4).
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 74.2 points per game (3.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.2 points per game (6.8 above their season average).
- The Catamounts’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 8.2 for the season.