The Southern Utah Thunderbirds (5-6, 0-2 BigSky) will be at Holt Arena to take on the Idaho State Bengals (5-6, 1-1 BigSky) in a BigSky matchup. The game begins at 9:05 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 3, 2019.
Southern Utah Thunderbirds vs. Idaho State Bengals Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Bengals were blown out by the third-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs, 120-79, while the Thunderbirds easily got past the West Coast Baptist Eagles, 109-63.
Southern Utah dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 9.9 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3. West Coast Baptist recorded marks of 32.0 and 17.1, respectively, for those same stats. Idaho State, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.500 vs. 0.643). Brandon Boyd led the way for Idaho State, recording 15 points and seven assists. Southern Utah was lifted by Dwayne Morgan, who had 20 points and six rebounds.
The Thunderbirds took this series last year, emerging victorious in two out of three contests. In the last matchup, Southern Utah won 76-68. Southern Utah was successful at getting to and converting from the free throw line. The Thunderbirds made 21 of their 26 free throws (80.8 percent), while the Bengals were just 13-22 (59.1 percent). This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Conflicting styles will be on display in this meeting. Southern Utah has preferred a fast-paced style of play (16th in possessions per game), while Idaho State has been slower-paced (232nd in possessions per game).
Southern Utah at Idaho State Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Idaho State, ATS Winner – Southern Utah, O/U – Under
- Idaho State ranks 110th in rebounds allowed per game (34.5) while Southern Utah ranks 250th (41.1).
- The Bengals average 14.6 assists per game, which ranks 81st in the nation. The Thunderbirds rank 129th in assists allowed per game (13.5).
- Idaho State ranks 44th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Southern Utah ranks 89th (3.4).
- The Thunderbirds rank 36th in steals per game (8.1) while the Bengals rank 171st (5.2).
- Idaho State averages 25.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 56th in the NCAA. Southern Utah ranks 140th in three pointers allowed per game (22.7).
- During their last five games, the Thunderbirds have scored an average of 86.0 points per game (8.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.4 points per game (10.9 below their season average).
- The Bengals’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.2, down from 1.7 for the season.