The undefeated second-ranked Michigan Wolverines (13-0, 2-0 Big 10) look to remain unbeaten when they clash with the Penn State Nittany Lions (7-6, 0-2 Big 10) at Crisler Center. The game can be seen on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 3, 2019.
Penn State Nittany Lions vs. Michigan Wolverines Betting Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Wolverines had no trouble getting past the Norfolk State Spartans 63-44, while the Nittany Lions were victorious over the North Florida Ospreys 87-72.
The Nittany Lions had a much better free throw rate (0.439 vs. 0.203) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.544 vs. 0.461). Michigan, meanwhile, played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.217 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.7. Norfolk State had marks of 0.085 and 18.6, respectively, for those same stats. Jon Teske had a good game for Michigan, finishing with 13 points and eight rebounds. Meanwhile, Lamar Stevens fueled Penn State with 22 points and 10 rebounds.
The Wolverines won the only contest between these two teams last season, 72-63. One of Michigan’s largest strengths was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 16-19 (84.2 percent), while the Nittany Lions were just 6-11 (54.5 percent). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Stevens has taken his game to another level recently for Penn State, averaging 0 points over the last five games.
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams square off. Michigan currently ranks 343rd in possessions per game (64.4) and Penn State is 259th (68.5).
Penn State at Michigan Betting Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Michigan, ATS Winner – Michigan, O/U – Over
- Michigan ranks first in steals allowed per game (3.0) while Penn State ranks 128th (6.8).
- The Wolverines are eighth in the NCAA with 9.7 assists allowed per game while the Nittany Lions are 31st with 10.8 assists allowed per game.
- Michigan ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (16.3) while Penn State ranks 23rd (18.5).
- The Wolverines rank 43rd in rebounds allowed per game (32.1) while the Nittany Lions rank 116th (34.7).
- Michigan ranks 28th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while Penn State ranks 72nd (3.2).
- The Nittany Lions’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.6, up from 4.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wolverines have scored an average of 68.4 points per game (4.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 47.0 points per game (8.1 below their season average).