Mark Stone, Thomas Chabot, and the Ottawa Senators are set to face off against Mathew Barzal, Josh Bailey, and the New York Islanders at the Barclays Center in an Eastern Conference showdown. The action will get started at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 28, and it’s being televised live on The Sports Network.
Ottawa Senators at New York Islanders Odds
The Islanders (-185) are currently the heavy favorite over the Senators (+160), and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at 6 goals (-125 over, +105 under).
New York is 18-17 straight up (SU) and has netted 6.7 units for moneyline bettors this season. That winning percentage, the third-best in the Metropolitan Division in this young season, is a welcome improvement over the 35-47 record from last year’s regular season campaign. Of the team’s 35 games this season, 12 have gone under the total, while 12 have gone over and just three have pushed. The team is 8-8 SU at home this year.
The Islanders have converted on just 15.7 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a mark that places them in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, their penalty kill is ranked 23rd overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 77.1 percent of all penalties.
Averaging 26.1 saves per game with a .920 save percentage, Thomas Greiss (14-8-1) has been the primary goalkeeper for the Isles this year. If the Isles decide to give him a rest, however, head coach Barry Trotz may roll with Robin Lehner (6-10-10 record, .919 save percentage, 2.44 goals against average).
On the visiting bench, Ottawa is 15-22 straight up (SU) and has earned 0.3 units for moneyline bettors this year. 24 of its contests have gone over the total, while 10 have gone under the total and just three have pushed. As the visiting team, the Senators are 4-13 SU so far.
The Senators have converted on 21.6 percent of their power play chances this season, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 29th overall and it’s successfully killed off 74.3 percent of all opponent power plays.
Craig Anderson (32.0 saves per game) has been the primary option in goal for Ottawa. Anderson owns a 14-17-3 record, while registering a .905 save percentage and 3.58 goals against average this year.
Ottawa Senators vs. New York Islanders Free Picks
Pick: SU Winner – Senators, O/U – Over
- Two of the Islanders’ last ten games have gone to a shootout. The team is 1-1 in those games and 2-3 overall in shootouts this year.
- The under has hit in three of New York’s last five outings.
- Ottawa has managed 26.6 shot attempts per game over its last five road games while New York has been attempting 31.2 shots per game over its last five at home.
- Over Ottawa’s last ten games, seven of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 1-6 in those games).
- The Isles this season have dished out the eighth-most hits per game in the NHL (25.4), but that average has risen to 29.8 over their last five home outings.