The Northwestern Wildcats (10-7, 1-5 Big 10) will be at the Louis Brown Athletic Center to go head-to-head against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (8-8, 1-5 Big 10) in a Big 10 matchup. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 18, 2019.
Northwestern Wildcats vs. Rutgers Scarlet Knights Betting Odds
Both teams got blown out in their last matchup. The Scarlet Knights fell to the Purdue Boilermakers, 89-54, while the Wildcats were defeated by the second-ranked Michigan Wolverines, 80-60.
Northwestern did a terrific job of making free throws (10-13; 76.9 percent) while Rutgers had a free throw rate of 0.229 (above their season average of 0.182). Montez Mathis had a solid performance for Rutgers, finishing with 19 points. Dererk Pardon played a pivotal role for Northwestern with 20 points.
The Scarlet Knights won the lone game between these two teams last year, 67-58. Rutgers’ free throw rate was their biggest strength over Northwestern. The Scarlet Knights had a rate of 0.233, while the Wildcats posted a mark of 0.082. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the nation’s slowest-paced teams clash. Rutgers ranks 265th in possessions per game (68.1) and Northwestern is 288th (67.7).
Northwestern at Rutgers Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Rutgers, ATS Winner – Rutgers, O/U – Under
- Rutgers ranks 40th in rebounds per game (39.4) while Northwestern ranks 212th (33.9).
- The Wildcats average 4.5 blocks per game, which ranks 34th in the nation. The Scarlet Knights rank 68th in blocks allowed per game (3.1).
- The Wildcats rank seventh in three pointers allowed per game (17.1) while the Scarlet Knights rank 115th (22.1).
- Northwestern averages 15.5 assists per game, which ranks 56th in the nation. Rutgers ranks 111th in assists allowed per game (12.9).
- The Wildcats have been outscored by an average of 6.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Northwestern has defeated opponents by an average of 5.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Scarlet Knights have scored an average of 64.2 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (7.1 above their season average).