The Monmouth Hawks (1-12) and the Iona Gaels (2-9) square off at Hynes Athletics Center. The Hawks will attempt to snap their 12-game losing streak. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 3, 2019, and can be seen on ESPN 3.
Monmouth Hawks vs. Iona Gaels Betting Odds
In their last matchup, the Gaels beat the Albany Great Danes, 72-68, while the Hawks got blown out by the Lehigh Mountain Hawks, 85-61.
Iona dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 16.0 and a free throw rate of 0.281. Albany recorded marks of 25.3 and 0.259, respectively, for those same stats. Monmouth, meanwhile, did a great job of making free throws (19-24; 79.2 percent). Iona was lifted by Rickey McGill, who recorded 12 points and nine assists. Deion Hammond fueled Monmouth with 21 points.
This was a highly contested series last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Hawks won 72-50. Monmouth’s free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Iona. The Hawks had a rate of 0.255, while the Gaels posted a mark of 0.086. This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
E.J. Crawford and McGill have played well over the last five games for Iona. Crawford has averaged 0 points, while McGill has recorded 0 points a game during that span.
Opposite tempos will be on display in this contest. Iona has preferred an up-tempo style of play (42nd in possessions per game), while Monmouth has been slower-paced (227th in possessions per game).
Monmouth Hawks at Iona Gaels Odds Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Iona, ATS Winner – Iona, O/U – Under
- Iona ranks 74th in three pointers attempted per game (24.9) while Monmouth ranks 255th in three pointers allowed per game (27.2).
- The Hawks rank 168th in rebounds allowed per game (36.5) while the Gaels rank 230th (39.3).
- The Gaels average 7.8 steals per game, which ranks 46th in the country. The Hawks rank 139th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- Iona ranks 136th in assists per game (13.4) while Monmouth ranks 228th (10.3).
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 60.8 points per game (0.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.0 points per game (1.3 above their season average).
- The Gaels’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.2, down from 8.5 for the season.