The 22nd-ranked Wisconsin Badgers (10-3, 2-0 Big 10) welcome the Minnesota Golden Gophers (11-2, 1-1 Big 10) to Kohl Center, where both teams will will try to lengthen their five game winning streaks. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 3, 2019.
Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. Wisconsin Badgers ATS Odds
Both teams dismantled their last opponent. The Badgers defeated the Coppin State Eagles 85-63, while the Golden Gophers beat the Omaha Mavericks 104-76.
Minnesota dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.4 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.710. For those same stats, Omaha had marks of 17.1 and 0.500, respectively. Wisconsin, meanwhile, dominated nearly every stat category in their game. They had a turnover percentage of 6.5 and a free throw rate of 0.377. Coppin State put up marks of 17.5 and 0.169, respectively, for those same stats. Ethan Happ played an enormous role in the victory for Wisconsin with 10 points, 12 assists and 11 rebounds to notch his zeroth triple-double of the year. Minnesota was lifted by Jordan Murphy, who recorded 12 points, 10 rebounds and five assists.
The Badgers won the sole contest between these two teams last season, 73-63. Wisconsin’s free throw rate was their largest advantage over Minnesota. The Badgers had a rate of 0.200, while the Golden Gophers posted a mark of 0.121. This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
The Golden Gophers’ Murphy has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 0 points per game. Meanwhile, Happ has averaged 0 points during that same time frame for the Badgers.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Wisconsin should have a substantial advantage. The Badgers defense ranks 56th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.464), while the Minnesota offense is ranked 277th in effective field goal percentage (0.486). Moreover, the Golden Gophers are among the nation’s best on the offensive backboards, ranking 13th in offensive rebounding percentage (38.2 percent). The Badgers, meanwhile, rank 34th at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 76.1 percent.
Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. Wisconsin Badgers Odds Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Wisconsin, ATS Winner – Minnesota, O/U – Under
- Minnesota ranks 22nd in rebounds per game (40.8) while Wisconsin ranks 159th (35.5).
- The Badgers rank 192nd in three pointers attempted per game (20.5) while the Golden Gophers rank 248th (17.6).
- Minnesota ranks 44th in assists per game (15.7) while Wisconsin ranks 99th (14.2).
- The Badgers average 3.8 blocks per game, which ranks 69th in the NCAA. The Golden Gophers rank 159th in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Wisconsin ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (4.3) while Minnesota ranks 63rd (5.8).
- During their last five games, the Golden Gophers have scored an average of 79.8 points per game (3.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.2 points per game (0.2 below their season average).
- The Badgers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 20.8, up from 13.2 for the season.