The Marshall Thundering Herd (7-6) will be at the Constant Convocation Center to challenge the Old Dominion Monarchs (10-3) in a CUSA matchup. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 3, 2019.
Marshall Thundering Herd at Old Dominion Monarchs ATS Odds
Both teams dismantled their last opponent. The Monarchs defeated the Navy Midshipmen 67-44, while the Thundering Herd beat the Eastern Kentucky Colonels 105-77.
The Thundering Herd had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.553 vs. 0.344) and had a better free throw rate (0.276 vs. 0.275). Meanwhile, Old Dominion dominated every stat category in their game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.6 and a free throw rate of 0.304. Navy recorded marks of 18.0 and 0.196, respectively, for those same stats. Old Dominion was led by Ahmad Caver, who had 24 points and five rebounds. C.J. Burks, meanwhile had a good outing for Marshall, finishing with 30 points.
The Monarchs dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the most recent game, Old Dominion won 84-79. Old Dominion had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (39.5 vs. 18.5). Marshall, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (12-14; 85.7 percent). This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
B.J. Stith and Caver have been playing well over the last five games for Old Dominion. Stith has averaged 0 points, while Caver has recorded 0 points a game during that span.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Old Dominion figures to have a significant advantage. The Monarchs defense ranks third in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.415), while the Marshall offense is ranked 189th in effective field goal percentage (0.512). This game should be a battle of conflicting tempos. The up-tempo Thundering Herd rank 11th in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Monarchs rank 340th.
Marshall Thundering Herd at Old Dominion Monarchs Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Old Dominion, ATS Winner – Marshall, O/U – Over
- Old Dominion averages 40.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 32nd in the nation. Marshall ranks 244th in rebounds allowed per game (40.4).
- The Monarchs rank 23rd in assists allowed per game (10.4) while the Thundering Herd rank 95th (12.7).
- Old Dominion ranks third in blocks allowed per game (1.5) while Marshall ranks 66th (3.1).
- The Thundering Herd rank 15th in steals per game (9.0) while the Monarchs rank 156th (5.5).
- Marshall ranks 22nd in three pointers attempted per game (28.0) while Old Dominion ranks 117th (23.2).
- During their last five games, the Monarchs have scored an average of 61.0 points per game (5.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 57.0 points per game (0.5 above their season average).
- The Thundering Herd have outscored opponents by an average of 8.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Marshall has lost by an average of 1.1 points.