A nine-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the 21st-ranked Indiana Hoosiers (11-2, 2-0 Big 10) when they welcome the Illinois Fighting Illini (4-9, 0-2 Big 10) to Assembly Hall. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 3, 2019.
Illinois Fighting Illini at Indiana Hoosiers ATS Odds
Both teams thoroughly outplayed their last opponent. The Hoosiers defeated the Chicago State Cougars 104-55, while the Fighting Illini beat the Evansville Aces 99-60.
Illinois played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 15.4 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.648. For those same stats, Evansville was 29.3 and 0.434, respectively. The Hoosiers, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (41.0 vs. 21.7) and had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.616 vs. 0.358). Indiana’s Romeo Langford had a good outing, putting up 19 points. Illinois was lifted by Ayo Dosunmu, who finished with 18 points and six rebounds.
This series was highly contested last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last game, the Hoosiers won 78-68. Indiana’s 0.659 effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Illinois, who had a mark of 0.444. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Juwan Morgan and Langford have played at a high level over the last five games for Indiana. Morgan has averaged 0 points, while Langford has put up 0 points a game during that span.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Indiana should have a significant advantage. The elite Hoosiers offense ranks eighth in the NCAA in that metric at 0.588, while the suspect Illinois defense is ranked 266th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.523). Furthermore, the Fighting Illini, who rank 315th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.181), will go head-to-head against the Hoosiers, who rank 12th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.155).
Illinois at Indiana Betting Pick
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Indiana, ATS Winner – Illinois, O/U – Under
- Illinois ranks 55th in three pointers attempted per game (25.8) while Indiana ranks 243rd (18.1).
- The Fighting Illini average 7.7 steals per game, which ranks 52nd in the NCAA. The Hoosiers rank 131st in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- Indiana ranks 37th in assists per game (16.1) while Illinois ranks 88th (14.5).
- The Hoosiers rank 41st in blocks per game (4.5) while the Fighting Illini rank 149th (2.5).
- Indiana ranks 115th in rebounds per game (36.8) while Illinois ranks 208th in rebounds allowed per game (38.0).
- The Fighting Illini have scored an equal number of points as their opponents. On the season, Illinois has been defeated by an average of 0.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Hoosiers have scored an average of 86.0 points per game (7.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 60.0 points per game (4.0 below their season average).