The FIU Golden Panthers (11-6, 2-2 CUSA) will be at E.A. Diddle Arena to go head-to-head against the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (8-8, 1-2 CUSA) in a CUSA matchup. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 17, 2019, and can be seen on beIN Sports.
FIU Golden Panthers vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Betting Odds
Both teams lost a winnable game in their last matchup. The Hilltoppers fell to the Marshall Thundering Herd, 70-69, while the Golden Panthers were defeated by the Old Dominion Monarchs, 75-74.
FIU had a much better free throw rate (0.250 vs. 0.119) while Western Kentucky had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.5 (above their season average of 29.5). Charles Bassey played a key role for Western Kentucky with 16 points and eight rebounds. FIU, meanwhile, rallied around Brian Beard Jr., who recorded 28 points and 10 assists.
The Hilltoppers won the sole game between these two teams last year, 83-76. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Western Kentucky’s biggest advantages. They had 39 free throw attempts, while FIU had just 10. This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
It might be a mistake-prone game for the Western Kentucky offense. Western Kentucky ranks 271st in the country in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.6 percent), while the gambling defense of FIU forces the third-most turnovers in the NCAA (26.8 percent).
FIU Golden Panthers at Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Betting Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Western Kentucky, ATS Winner – FIU, O/U – Over
- FIU ranks sixth in three pointers attempted per game (29.7) while Western Kentucky ranks 278th (15.9).
- The Hilltoppers average 5.3 blocks per game, which ranks 15th in the nation. The Golden Panthers rank 142nd in blocks allowed per game (4.3).
- FIU averages 11.9 steals per game, which ranks first in the nation. Western Kentucky ranks 95th in steals allowed per game (6.2).
- The Hilltoppers rank 69th in rebounds allowed per game (33.3) while the Golden Panthers rank 263rd (44.6).
- FIU ranks 43rd in assists per game (15.9) while Western Kentucky ranks 195th (11.8).
- The Golden Panthers have been outscored by an average of 2.4 points in their last five games. On the season, FIU has defeated opponents by an average of 7.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Hilltoppers have scored an average of 71.4 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.6 points per game (5.2 below their season average).