The Chicago State Cougars (3-14, 0-2 WAC) and the Grand Canyon Antelopes (10-7, 3-1 WAC) battle at Grand Canyon University Arena. The Cougars look to put an end to their six-game losing streak. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 17, 2019.
Chicago State Cougars vs. Grand Canyon Antelopes Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Antelopes were victorious over the UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros, 69-65, while the Cougars lost a close one to the California Baptist Lancers, 77-75.
The Antelopes had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 35.1 (above their season average of 30.1) and held the Vaqueros to an effective field goal percentage of 0.433 (below the 0.504 mark opponents have averaged against Grand Canyon this season). Chicago State, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 13.2 (better than their season average of 20.7). Damari Milstead had a solid performance for Grand Canyon with 25 points, seven rebounds and five assists. Chicago State, meanwhile, was lifted by Anthony Harris, who finished with 24 points and nine rebounds.
The Antelopes dominated this series last year, securing victories in both games. In the last contest, Grand Canyon won 89-55. The Antelopes’ 12.2 turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Cougars, who had a mark of 29.2. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
There’s a decent chance that Chicago State struggles to create turnovers. Grand Canyon ranks 89th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.7 percent), while Chicago State forces the 59th-fewest turnovers (17.3 percent). Also, the Cougars, who rank 283rd in offensive rebounding percentage (25.6 percent), will battle against the Antelopes, who rank 40th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.6 percent).
Chicago State Cougars at Grand Canyon Antelopes Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Grand Canyon, O/U – Under
- Grand Canyon ranks 14th in three pointers allowed per game (17.8) while Chicago State ranks 267th (28.0).
- The Antelopes rank 49th in steals allowed per game (5.5) while the Cougars rank 181st (8.5).
- The Antelopes rank 32nd in assists allowed per game (10.8) while the Cougars rank 226th (17.2).
- Grand Canyon ranks 66th in rebounds allowed per game (33.1) while Chicago State ranks 227th (38.2).
- During their last five games, the Antelopes have scored an average of 68.8 points per game (5.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.0 points per game (4.8 below their season average).
- The Cougars’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 24.4, up from 19.9 for the season.