Don’t expect a fast-paced game when the Charleston Cougars (14-4, 3-2 CAA) travel to Northeastern to take on the Huskies (9-8, 3-2 CAA). Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 17, 2019.
Charleston Cougars at Northeastern Huskies Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Huskies had no trouble getting past the William & Mary Tribe 90-70, while the Cougars beat the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens 71-58.
The Cougars, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.528, had a superb mark of 0.578 and had a better turnover percentage (16.9 vs. 18.8). Meanwhile, Northeastern’s turnover percentage was their biggest strength over William & Mary. The Huskies had a rate of 14.1 (better than their season average of 16.6), while the Tribe posted a mark of 20.5 (above their season average of 16.2). Shawn Occeus put together a good outing for Northeastern with 21 points and eight assists. Meanwhile, Charleston was lifted by Jarrell Brantley, who recorded 18 points and 12 rebounds.
The Cougars dominated this series last year, winning all three games. In the last matchup, Charleston won 83-76. Making free throws was one of Charleston’s largest strengths. They were 21-22 (95.5 percent), while the Huskies were just 7-9 (77.8 percent). This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the nation’s slowest-paced teams clash. Northeastern currently ranks 301st in possessions per game (67.1) and Charleston is 336th (65.8). Ball security should be an advantage for the Cougars. They rank 25th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.0 percent). Conversely, the Huskies force the 38th-fewest turnovers in the country (opponents’ turnover percentage of 16.7 percent).
Charleston Cougars vs. Northeastern Huskies Free Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Northeastern, ATS Winner – Northeastern, O/U – Over
- Northeastern averages 23.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 107th in the NCAA. Charleston ranks 160th in three pointers allowed per game (23.2).
- The Cougars are 29th in the country with 5.2 steals allowed per game while the Huskies are 47th with 5.5 steals allowed per game.
- Northeastern is 15th in the country with 2.2 blocks allowed per game while Charleston is 31st with 2.6 blocks allowed per game.
- The Huskies allow the 28th-fewest rebounds per game (31.4) while the Cougars rank 60th (32.7).
- Northeastern ranks 72nd in assists per game (14.9) while Charleston ranks 96th in assists allowed per game (12.7).
- The Cougars’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 6.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 83.2 points per game (8.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.0 points per game (2.4 above their season average).