The Washington State Cougars (7-9, 0-3 Pac-12) welcome the California Golden Bears (5-11, 0-4 Pac-12) to Wallis Beasley Performing Arts Coliseum, where both teams will look to end their losing streaks. The Cougars are on a six game losing streak, while the Golden Bears have lost five consecutive games. Action gets underway at 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 17, 2019, and can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
California Golden Bears at Washington State Cougars ATS Odds
Both teams lost big in their last matchup. The Cougars fell to the Utah Runnin’ Utes, 88-70, while the Golden Bears were defeated by the Arizona Wildcats, 87-65.
California did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (17-24; 70.8 percent) while Washington State did a fantastic job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (19-25; 76.0 percent). Washington State’s CJ Elleby played well, contributing 21 points. Meanwhile, Justice Sueing played a pivotal role for California with 27 points and five rebounds.
The Cougars dominated this series last year, securing victories in both contests. In the last contest, Washington State won 78-76. Washington State’s free throw rate was their largest advantage over California. The Cougars had a rate of 0.232, while the Golden Bears posted a mark of 0.169. This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Washington State should have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Cougars currently rank 99th in offensive efficiency, while California ranks 350th in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Golden Bears rank 15th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.306), while the Cougars rank 17th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.169).
California vs. Washington State Free Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Washington State, ATS Winner – California, O/U – Over
- Washington State ranks 46th in three pointers attempted per game (26.2) while California ranks 243rd (18.9).
- The Golden Bears rank 27th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Cougars rank 95th (6.2).
- Washington State is 24th in the nation with 2.4 blocks allowed per game while California is 37th with 2.6 blocks allowed per game.
- The Cougars rank 71st in assists per game (15.0) while the Golden Bears rank 189th in assists allowed per game (15.0).
- Washington State ranks 196th in rebounds per game (34.4) while California ranks 266th (29.1).
- The Cougars have been outscored by an average of 15.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Washington State has defeated opponents by an average of 0.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Golden Bears have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (3.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 85.8 points per game (10.4 above their season average).