The BYU Cougars (11-8, 3-1 WCC) will be at Firestone Fieldhouse to take on the Pepperdine Waves (9-9, 2-2 WCC) in a WCC matchup. The game starts at 11 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 17, 2019, and will air on ESPNU.
BYU Cougars vs. Pepperdine Waves ATS Odds
Both teams were victorious over their last opponent. The Waves defeated the San Diego Toreros 76-71, while the Cougars beat the Santa Clara Broncos 80-74.
BYU dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 24.2) and a free throw rate of 0.490 (above their season average of 0.276). Santa Clara put up marks of 20.0 and 0.333, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, Pepperdine played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.400 (above their season average of 0.255) and a turnover percentage of 14.1 (better than their season average of 14.8). San Diego was 0.278 and 19.5, respectively, for those same stats. Colbey Ross led the way for Pepperdine, putting up 27 points and six rebounds. Meanwhile, BYU rallied around Yoeli Childs, who finished with 27 points and six rebounds.
The Cougars dominated this series last year, taking both contests. In the most recent game, BYU won 75-70. BYU did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (19-25; 76.0 percent). Pepperdine, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (28.9 vs. 18.8). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Pepperdine could put on a ball-control clinic in this battle. Pepperdine ranks 45th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.6 percent), while BYU forces the 42nd-fewest turnovers (16.9 percent).
BYU at Pepperdine Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Pepperdine, ATS Winner – BYU, O/U – Over
- BYU ranks 90th in rebounds per game (37.3) while Pepperdine ranks 238th (32.5).
- The Cougars rank 33rd in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Waves rank 82nd (3.2).
- Pepperdine ranks 35th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while BYU ranks 66th (5.7).
- The Cougars average 16.1 assists per game, which ranks 37th in the nation. The Waves rank 174th in assists allowed per game (14.6).
- Pepperdine averages 24.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 99th in the country. BYU ranks 159th in three pointers allowed per game (23.2).
- During their last five games, the Waves have scored an average of 77.2 points per game (3.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.2 points per game (2.5 below their season average).
- The Cougars have been outscored by an average of 2.4 points in their last five games. On the season, BYU has defeated opponents by an average of 5.1 points.