The Arkansas State Red Wolves (6-7) and the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns (9-4) face off at Cajun Dome. The Red Wolves will attempt to end their five-game road losing streak, while the Ragin’ Cajuns look to lengthen their five-game home winning streak. The game gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 3, 2019.
Arkansas State Red Wolves at Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Ragin’ Cajuns easily got past the Univ. of the Virgin Islands Buccaneers, 121-80, while the Red Wolves lost big to the Abilene Christian Wildcats, 94-73.
Louisiana dominated nearly every facet of the contest. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.771 and a turnover percentage of 17.0. Univ. of the Virgin Islands was 0.471 and 22.2, respectively, for those same stats. Arkansas State, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (18.7 vs. 20.8). Jakeenan Gant played well for Louisiana with 19 points. Arkansas State, meanwhile, rallied around Ty Cockfield II, who had 24 points and six assists.
The Ragin’ Cajuns dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the most recent matchup, Louisiana won 85-74. Louisiana had a much better turnover percentage (15.0 vs. 20.1). Arkansas State, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (19-22; 86.4 percent). This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
Gant has been playing at a high level recently for Louisiana, averaging 0 points over the last five games.
This game should be a matchup of contrasting tempos. Louisiana has preferred to play quickly (13th in possessions per game), while Arkansas State has been more methodical (153rd in possessions per game).
Arkansas State Red Wolves at Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Louisiana, O/U – Over
- Louisiana averages 15.3 assists per game, which ranks 57th in the nation. Arkansas State ranks 160th in assists allowed per game (13.2).
- The Ragin’ Cajuns rank 28th in steals per game (8.4) while the Red Wolves rank 90th (7.0).
- Louisiana ranks 52nd in three pointers attempted per game (25.9) while Arkansas State ranks 60th in three pointers allowed per game (21.1).
- The Red Wolves rank 159th in rebounds allowed per game (38.3) while the Ragin’ Cajuns rank 241st (40.2).
- Louisiana ranks 41st in blocks per game (4.5) while Arkansas State ranks 105th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- The Red Wolves’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.6, up from 2.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Ragin’ Cajuns have scored an average of 83.4 points per game (0.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 81.2 points per game (3.2 above their season average).