The Charlotte Hornets (9-8) and their phenomenal offense travel to Oklahoma City as 6-point underdogs to take on the Thunder (11-6) and their tremendous defense. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 227 points and it will air on Fox Sports Carolina at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, November 23, 2018.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Oklahoma City Thunder ATS Odds
Both teams comfortably covered as favorites in their last matchup. The Thunder (1.5-point favorites) defeated the Golden State Warriors 123-95, while the Hornets (4-point favorites) beat the Indiana Pacers 127-109. The Oklahoma City game went 5.5 points under the projected point total of 223.5, while the Charlotte game went 20.5 points over the projected point total of 215.5.
Charlotte played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.237 (above their season average of 0.196) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.675 (above their season average of 0.523). Indiana put up marks of 0.190 and 0.554, respectively, for those same stats. Oklahoma City, on the other hand, played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 34.0 (above their season average of 28.2) and a turnover percentage of 8.2 (better than their season average of 12.0). For those same stats, Golden State was 14.0 and 15.4, respectively. Russell Westbrook put together a huge game for Oklahoma City, registering 11 points, 13 assists and 11 rebounds on his way to his zeroth triple-double this year. Kemba Walker fueled Charlotte with 16 points and 11 assists.
In their first matchup this year, Westbrook led the Thunder to a 111-107 win. He recorded a double-double with 29 points and 10 assists. The two teams combined for 218 points, which was under the projected point total of 231, and Oklahoma City covered as a 1-point underdog. The Thunder’s turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Hornets. Oklahoma City had a rate of 8.4, while Charlotte posted a mark of 14.2.
Of the Hornets’ 17 games, nine have finished over the O/U total. Charlotte holds records of 9-8 straight up (SU) and 11-6 against the spread (ATS).
In opposition of Charlotte, a little over half of Thunder games have finished under the total. Moreover, Oklahoma City is 11-6 SU and 11-6 ATS.
The Hornets’ Jeremy Lamb has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 17 points,6.2 rebounds,1.6 steals per game. Meanwhile, Paul George has averaged 29 points,9.6 rebounds,4.4 assists,1.4 steals during that same time frame for the Thunder.
The offensive glass could be a huge advantage for Oklahoma City in this showdown. The Thunder rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (28.6 percent), while Charlotte ranks 19th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.4 percent). Furthermore, the Hornets’ fifth-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 111.1) will battle against the Thunder’s second-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 101.6).
Charlotte Hornets at Oklahoma City Thunder Pick
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
- The Thunder lead the league with 22.176470588235293 points off turnovers per game while the Hornets are 5 with 20.058823529411764 points off turnovers per game.
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (11.0) while Charlotte ranks 21st (7.0).
- The Thunder rank 12th in blocks allowed per game (5.0) while the Hornets rank 26th (6.8).
- Oklahoma City ranks second in second chance points per game (17.2) while Charlotte ranks 16th in second chance points allowed per game (13.4).
- Oklahoma City averages 31.294117647058822 three pointers per game, which ranks 16 in the league. Charlotte ranks 21 in three pointers allowed per game (32.8235294117647).
- The Thunder rank seventh in points in the paint per game (52.1) while the Hornets rank 23rd in points allowed in the paint per game (49.5).
- The Thunder average 15.882352941176471 fast break points per game, which ranks 6 in the league. The Hornets rank 12 in fast break points allowed per game (13.529411764705882).
- Charlotte averages 24.705882352941178 assists per game, which ranks 9 in the NBA. Oklahoma City ranks 13 in assists allowed per game (23.529411764705884).
- Oklahoma City ranks fourth in rebounds per game (48.3) while Charlotte ranks 19th (44.4).
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Oklahoma City is 3-0 and Charlotte is 2-0.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Thunder are 9-3 and the Hornets are 9-7.
- Charlotte is 5-3 ATS on the road, while Oklahoma City is 5-3 ATS at home.
- In 8 road games, the Hornets have 5 unders and 3 overs.
- In 8 home games, the Thunder have 6 overs and 2 unders.
- In their last five games, Charlotte and Oklahoma City have both had 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Thunder are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Hornets are 3-2.
- The Thunder’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.2, up from 6.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 113.0 points per game (2.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 111.8 points per game (1.5 above their season average).