The Atlanta Hawks (3-15) and the Boston Celtics (9-9) clash at State Farm Arena. The Hawks are 8.5-point underdogs and will attempt to put an end to their nine-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 219.5 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Southeast at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 23, 2018.
Boston Celtics at Atlanta Hawks ATS Odds
Both teams lost in their last game. The Celtics (14.5-point favorites) were defeated by the New York Knicks, 117-109, while the Hawks (8-point underdogs) fell to the Toronto Raptors, 124-108. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Boston game finished 10.5 points over the projected point total of 215.5, while the Atlanta game went 7.5 points over the projected point total of 224.5.
Boston had a turnover percentage of 6.7 (better than their season average of 11.8) while Atlanta had a turnover percentage of 8.2 (better than their season average of 15.1). Jeremy Lin fueled Atlanta with 26 points. Boston received a boost from Kyrie Irving, who finished with 22 points, 13 assists and six rebounds.
The Celtics edged out the Hawks in this series last year, securing victories in three out of four contests. In the last game, Atlanta won 112-106. Atlanta’s 0.587 effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Boston, who had a rate of 0.567. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
It’s tough to find a trend for Celtics games in regards to the O/U total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Boston holds records of 9-9 straight up (SU) and 6-12 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas tends to place the total low when the Hawks are involved, as 10 of their 18 games have ended over the O/U total. Further, Atlanta is 3-15 SU and 7-11 ATS.
Irving has been playing at a high level as of late for Boston, averaging 26 points,7.2 assists,2.8 steals over the last five games.
The inefficient offense of Atlanta (29th in the league with an offensive efficiency of 100.1) will clash against the elite defense of Boston (first in the league with a defensive efficiency of 101.0). The Celtics figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball. Additionally, the Celtics commit the third-fewest errors in the league (turnover percentage of 12.7 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of the Hawks causes the fourth-most (opponents’ turnover percentage of 15.4 percent).
Celtics at Hawks Betting Pick
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Celtics average 46.611111111111114 rebounds per game, which ranks 10 in the NBA. The Hawks rank 28 in rebounds allowed per game (49.22222222222222).
- Boston ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.2) while Atlanta ranks 29th (22.8).
- The Celtics rank third in fast break points allowed per game (10.8) while the Hawks rank 25th (16.2).
- Boston ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (21.7) while Atlanta ranks 26th (27.3).
- Atlanta ranks 10 in points in the paint per game (48.44444444444444) while Boston ranks 29 (39.77777777777778).
- The Celtics rank third in steals allowed per game (6.7) while the Hawks rank 26th (9.6).
- The Celtics rank 3 in three pointers attempted per game (35.94444444444444) while the Hawks rank 23 in three pointers allowed per game (33.44444444444444).
- Boston ranks 2 in blocks allowed per game (3.8333333333333335) while Atlanta ranks 17 (5.5).
- Boston ranks eighth in second chance points allowed per game (12.2) while Atlanta ranks last (17.3).
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Atlanta is 0-2 and Boston is 4-2.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Hawks are 3-11 and the Celtics are 9-6.
- Boston is 2-8 ATS on the road, while Atlanta is 2-6 ATS at home.
- The Celtics have 5 overs and 5 unders in 10 road games.
- The Hawks have 5 overs and 3 unders in 8 home games.
- In their last five games, Boston and Atlanta are both 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.2, up from 1.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 102.4 points per game (5.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 119.2 points per game (0.6 above their season average).