The No. 23 Tennessee Volunteers (9-3, 0-1 SEC) will try to snap the 10-game winning streak of Auburn when they welcome the Tigers (12-1) to Thompson-Boling Arena. Tennessee opened as a 6-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 153.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Auburn Tigers at Tennessee Volunteers Betting Preview
In the Tigers last contest, they easily got past the Cornell Big Red, 98-77. With 10 points and 10 rebounds, Chuma Okeke had a good performance for Auburn. Auburn dominated every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.3 (below their season average of 37.4) and a free throw rate of 0.290 (above their season average of 0.289). Cornell had marks of 18.6 and 0.217, respectively, for those same stats.
The Volunteers are hoping for a better outcome after their 95-93 loss to the Arkansas Razorbacks in their last outing. Jordan Bone led Tennessee in scoring with 21 points on 7-for-16 shooting. Arkansas had a free throw rate of 0.344 (above their season average of 0.255). Tennessee, on the other hand, held the Razorbacks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.7 (below their season average of 28.4).
It could be an error-filled game for the Tennessee offense. Tennessee ranks 203rd in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.3 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Auburn forces the 100th-most turnovers in the nation (21.0 percent). Also, the Tigers rank 16th in offensive rebounding percentage (37.3 percent), while the Volunteers rank 286th in defensive rebounding percentage (68.1 percent).
Both of these teams tend to finish over the O/U total. Auburn games have finished over 60.0 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of games including Tennessee have finished over. The Tigers have the better straight up (SU) record (12-1 vs. 9-3), but the Volunteers have been superior against the spread (ATS) (6-4 vs. 6-4).
Jared Harper has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Auburn, averaging 14.0 points and 6.6 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Volunteers won the only contest played against each other last season, 87-77. The Volunteers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 29.7 and an absurd free throw rate of 0.349. For those same stats, the Tigers were 22.0 and 0.273, respectively.
Auburn Tigers vs. Tennessee Volunteers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Auburn, ATS Winner – Auburn, O/U – Over
- The Volunteers average 7.1 steals per game, which ranks 66th in the nation. The Tigers rank 136th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- Auburn ranks fifth in blocks per game (6.8) while Tennessee ranks 40th in blocks allowed per game (2.7).
- Auburn is 4-2 ATS on the road, while Tennessee is 1-3 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 2 of the Volunteers 4 home games, while 3 of the Tigers 6 road games have gone over.
- Tennessee ranks 50th in three pointers allowed per game (19.8) while Auburn ranks 210th (24.3).
- The Tigers average 42.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 12th in the nation. The Volunteers rank 143rd in rebounds allowed per game (35.7).
- Tennessee averages 17.8 assists per game, which ranks 23rd in the nation. Auburn ranks 101st in assists allowed per game (12.8).
- Tennessee is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Auburn is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Volunteers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, down from 10.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 85.8 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.6 points per game (1.7 above their season average).