The South Carolina Gamecocks (13-13, 4-9 SEC), who are currently riding a six-game losing streak, will attempt to get back in the win column when they welcome the No. 10 Auburn Tigers (23-3, 11-2 SEC) to Colonial Life Arena. Action starts at 3:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 17, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Auburn Tigers at South Carolina Gamecocks Odds Preview
In the Tigers last contest, they beat the Kentucky Wildcats, 76-66. With 13 points and 11 rebounds, Anfernee McLemore put together a good outing for Auburn. Auburn played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 8.8 (better than their season average of 14.6) and a free throw rate of 0.400 (above their season average of 0.303). Kentucky was 18.2 and 0.241, respectively, for those same stats.
The Gamecocks are trying to rebound after their 70-67 loss to the No. 18 Tennessee Volunteers in their last matchup. Frank Booker was South Carolina’s leading scorer with 19 points on 4-for-11 shooting. Tennessee held the Gamecocks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.1 (below their season average of 33.9). South Carolina, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-21; 81.0 percent).
The physical South Carolina offense could be living from the foul line in this showdown. The Gamecocks rank 19th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.300, while Auburn ranks 283rd in FTA rate allowed (0.273). Moreover, the Tigers rank 56th in turnover percentage (16.8 percent), while the Gamecocks rank 40th in opponents turnover percentage (21.8 percent).
Jared Harper has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Auburn, averaging 15.0 points, 8.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Gamecocks won the sole contest last season, 98-69. South Carolina’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Auburn. The Gamecocks had a rate of 0.615 while the Tigers posted a mark of 0.381.
Auburn Tigers at South Carolina Gamecocks Odds Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Auburn, ATS Winner – Auburn, O/U – Over
- The Gamecocks rank 37th in assists allowed per game (11.3) while the Tigers rank 76th (12.3).
- South Carolina averages 36.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 97th in the NCAA. Auburn ranks 120th in rebounds allowed per game (34.1).
- Auburn ranks eighth in blocks per game (5.7) while South Carolina ranks 198th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- The Tigers rank 40th in steals per game (7.5) while the Gamecocks rank 186th (5.4).
- Auburn ranks 36th in three pointers attempted per game (26.0) while South Carolina ranks 182nd (21.1).
- The Gamecocks have been outscored by an average of 14.2 points in their last five games. On the season, South Carolina has defeated opponents by an average of 1.0 point.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 81.2 points per game (3.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (0.4 below their season average).