The Memphis Grizzlies (8-20), who are currently riding a five-game losing streak, will attempt to get back in the win column when they welcome the Atlanta Hawks (6-22) to FedExForum. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 15, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Atlanta Hawks at Memphis Grizzlies Free Preview
The Hawks were beaten by the Detroit Pistons in their last game, 105-91. With 23 points on 10-for-14 shooting, Ersan Ilyasova was the top scorer from either team. Detroit had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.1 (above their season average of 23.9). Atlanta, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.229 (above their season average of 0.177).
In the Grizzlies last matchup, they were beaten by the Washington Wizards, 93-87. With 15 points and 15 rebounds, JaMychal Green had a solid performance for Memphis. Washington held the Grizzlies to an effective field goal percentage of 0.444 (below their season average of 0.504). Memphis, meanwhile, held the Wizards to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.0 (below their season average of 22.6).
It could be an error-filled game for the Memphis offense. Memphis ranks 18th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.6 percent), while the gambling defense of Atlanta forces the third-most turnovers in the league (16.1 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games involving Atlanta have finished over 55.6 percent of the time, while 64.3 percent of Memphis games have finished under. The Grizzlies have the superior straight up (SU) record (8-20 vs. 6-22), but the Hawks hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (14-12-1 vs. 10-17-1).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent game, the Grizzlies won 103-91. The Grizzlies played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 34.8 and a superb turnover percentage of 9.9. The Hawks had marks of 20.0 and 16.5, respectively, for those same stats.
Atlanta Hawks at Memphis Grizzlies Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hawks, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Over
- The Grizzlies rank 11th in second chance points allowed per game (11.7) while the Hawks rank 28th (14.1).
- Atlanta ranks 14th in fast break points allowed per game (11.1) while Memphis ranks 25th (13.1).
- Memphis ranks 10th in blocks per game (5.1) while Atlanta ranks 26th (3.9).
- Neither of these teams are great at rebounding the ball. Atlanta is 28th in the league with 39.9 rebounds per game while Memphis is 29th with 39.0 rebounds per game.
- Atlanta is 8-6-1 ATS on the road, while Memphis is 5-11 ATS at home.
- In 15 road games, the Hawks have 8 unders and 7 overs.
- In 16 home games, the Grizzlies have 12 unders and 4 overs.
- Memphis is 6-5 when they allow below 100 points, while Atlanta is 1-2.
- The Grizzlies are 4-6 when they score above 100 points, while the Hawks are 6-13.
- The Grizzlies rank fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.1) while the Hawks rank 19th (44.8).
- Memphis ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.3) while Atlanta ranks last (26.4).
- The Hawks rank fifth in steals per game (8.6) while the Grizzlies rank 22nd (7.2).
- The Grizzlies rank 15th in points off turnovers per game (16.9) while the Hawks rank 21st in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.8).
- Memphis ranks 10th in three pointers allowed per game (27.5) while Atlanta ranks 27th (32.6).
- Memphis is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Atlanta is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Grizzlies average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.4, up from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 107.0 points per game (3.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.8 points per game (2.7 above their season average).