The Detroit Pistons (15-15) will be 9.5-point favorites at home in Little Caesars Arena when they square off with the Atlanta Hawks (8-23). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 223.5 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 23, 2018.
Atlanta Hawks vs. Detroit Pistons Betting Odds
The Hawks were victorious over the New York Knicks in their last game, 114-107, despite being 2-point underdogs. The Pistons, meanwhile, were defeated by the Charlotte Hornets, 98-86, and were not able to cover as 4-point underdogs. The Atlanta game finished 13 points under the projected point total of 234, while the Detroit game finished 38 points under the projected point total of 222.
Atlanta out-rebounded New York. The Hawks had 15 offensive rebounds and 54 total rebounds, while the Knicks had four and 35, respectively. Detroit, on the other hand, forced Charlotte into a turnover percentage of 15.5 (above their season average of 10.6). Andre Drummond had a good outing for Detroit, contributing 17 points and 16 rebounds. Atlanta, meanwhile, was led by John Collins, who put up 17 points and 16 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Drummond led the Pistons to a 124-109 win. He recorded a double-double with 23 points and 11 rebounds. Detroit covered as a 5-point favorite and the two teams combined to score 233 points, which was over the projected point total of 227. The Pistons’ 8.7 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Hawks, who had a rate of 14.2.
Games involving the Hawks have a slight tendency to finish over the total (54.8 percent). Atlanta holds records of 8-23 straight up (SU) and 13-18 against the spread (ATS).
Games featuring the Pistons have no tendency in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Moreover, Detroit is 15-15 SU and 15-14-1 ATS.
Collins and Kent Bazemore have played well over the last five games for Atlanta. Collins has averaged 22 points,12.8 rebounds per game, while Bazemore has put up 15 points,5.4 assists,2.0 steals a game during that span.
Detroit figures to have an advantage on the offensive glass in this battle. The Pistons currently rank fifth in offensive rebounding percentage (25.8 percent), while Atlanta ranks 19th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.5 percent).
Atlanta Hawks at Detroit Pistons Odds Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank 16 in steals allowed per game (7.633333333333333) while the Hawks rank last (10.64516129032258).
- Detroit ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (11.3) while Atlanta ranks 26th (14.8).
- The Pistons rank seventh in three pointers allowed per game (29.3) while the Hawks rank 28th (34.3).
- Detroit ranks 10th in assists allowed per game (23.4) while Atlanta ranks 29th (27.4).
- Detroit ranks 13 in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.533333333333335) while Atlanta ranks last (22.774193548387096).
- The Pistons rank fifth in fast break points allowed per game (11.2) while the Hawks rank 28th (15.9).
- The Pistons rank 7 in rebounds per game (47.13333333333333) while the Hawks rank 25 in rebounds allowed per game (46.25806451612903).
- Atlanta averages 50.645161290322584 points in the paint per game, which ranks 9 in the NBA. Detroit ranks 21 in points allowed in the paint per game (50.2).
- Atlanta ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.6) while Detroit ranks 26th (4.0).
- Atlanta is 1-2 when they allow below 100 points, while Detroit is 2-1.
- When reaching 100 points, the Pistons are 15-10 and the Hawks are 8-17.
- Atlanta is 8-9 ATS on the road, while Detroit is 7-9-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 9 of the Hawks’ 17 road games, while 9 of the Pistons’ 17 home games have gone under.
- In their last five games, Atlanta and Detroit have both had 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pistons are 3-1-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Hawks are 3-2.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 107.8 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 108.0 points per game (1.9 below their season average).
- The Hawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.0, down from 9.6 for the season.