The Atlanta Hawks (28-49) will travel to the AT&T Center to go head-to-head against the San Antonio Spurs (44-33). The Spurs opened as 9.5-point favorites. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 229 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Southeast at 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, April 2, 2019.
Atlanta Hawks vs. San Antonio Spurs ATS Odds
In the Hawks’ last contest, they narrowly defeated the Milwaukee Bucks, 136-135, as 2-point underdogs. The Spurs, on the other hand, were defeated by the Sacramento Kings, 113-106, and failed to cover as 10.5-point underdogs. The Atlanta game went 40.5 points over the projected point total of 230.5, while the San Antonio game went 4.5 points under the projected point total of 223.5.
The Hawks had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 6.7 (better than their season average of 14.3) and held the Bucks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.487 (below their season average of 0.551). San Antonio, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.0 (above their season average of 20.8). San Antonio received a boost from LaMarcus Aldridge, who put up 27 points and 18 rebounds. John Collins, meanwhile had a good outing for Atlanta, contributing 23 points and 12 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Aldridge led the Spurs to a 111-104 victory. He was the game’s leading scorer with 32 points. The two teams combined to put up 215 points, which was well under the projected point total of 233.5, and San Antonio covered as a 5.5-point favorite. San Antonio’s 0.551 effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Atlanta, who had a rate of 0.462.
Oddsmakers are known to set the total low when the Hawks are involved, as 44 of their 77 games have gone over the O/U total. Atlanta comes into the game with records of 28-49 straight up (SU) and 39-38 against the spread (ATS).
A little over half of Spurs games have finished over the total. Further, San Antonio owns records of 44-33 SU and 41-34-2 ATS.
The Hawks’ Trae Young has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 27 points,10.6 assists per game. Meanwhile, Aldridge has averaged 22 points,8.6 rebounds,3.2 assists,1.8 blocks during that same time frame for the Spurs.
San Antonio appears to have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Spurs currently rank sixth in offensive efficiency, while Atlanta ranks 25th in defensive efficiency. This game should be a battle of conflicting styles. The aggressively-paced Hawks rank first in possessions per game, while the more methodical Spurs rank 22nd.
Atlanta Hawks at San Antonio Spurs Pick
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Over
- The Spurs rank 15th in assists per game (24.6) while the Hawks rank last in assists allowed per game (27.0).
- Atlanta ranks third in three pointers attempted per game (36.9) while San Antonio ranks 29th (25.2).
- The Hawks rank seventh in points in the paint per game (51.1) while the Spurs rank 27th (43.3).
- Atlanta ranks seventh in second chance points per game (14.1) while San Antonio ranks 27th (11.7).
- Atlanta ranks 10th in fast break points per game (15.1) while San Antonio ranks 26th (10.5).
- The Spurs rank fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.9) while the Hawks rank 28th (21.4).
- The Spurs rank fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while the Hawks rank 23rd (5.4).
- San Antonio ranks seventh in steals allowed per game (7.1) while Atlanta ranks 28th (9.9).
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, San Antonio is 14-3 and Atlanta is 3-2.
- The Hawks are 27-39 when they score more than 100 points, while the Spurs are 43-22.
- Atlanta is 22-16 ATS on the road, while San Antonio is 24-15 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 21 of the Spurs’ 39 home games, while 22 of the Hawks’ 38 road games have gone over.
- The Hawks are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Spurs are 1-3-1.
- In their last five games, Atlanta has 4 overs and 1 under, while San Antonio has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 111.6 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 111.0 points per game (0.6 above their season average).