The New Orleans Pelicans (7-6) will be at home in Smoothie King Center when they meet the Atlanta Hawks (2-11). New Orleans is a 9-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 217.5 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, November 13, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
Atlanta Hawks vs. New Orleans Pelicans Free Preview
The Hawks got blown out by the Washington Wizards in their last game, 113-94. Taurean Prince had a solid performance for Atlanta, leading the team in scoring with 19 points on 6-for-12 shooting. One of Washington’s biggest advantages was getting to the charity stripe. They had 28 free throw attempts, while Atlanta had 17.
The last time the Pelicans played, they beat the Los Angeles Clippers, 111-103. New Orleans received a boost from DeMarcus Cousins, who was the game’s high scorer with 35 points on 14-for-23 shooting. The Pelicans held the Clippers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.7 (below their season average of 29.0) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.575 (above their season average of 0.524).
New Orleans appears to have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Pelicans rank ninth in effective field goal percentage (0.527), while Atlanta ranks 23rd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.526).
Of Atlanta’s 13 games, seven have finished over the projected point total, while 7 of New Orleans’ 13 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Pelicans have a substantial advantage. They are 7-6 SU and 9-4 ATS, while the Hawks are 2-11 SU and 5-7-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last contest, the Hawks won 99-94. The Hawks dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.156 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.472. For those same stats, the Pelicans were 0.118 and 0.446, respectively.
Atlanta Hawks at New Orleans Pelicans Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Under
- The Pelicans rank 10th in three pointers attempted per game (29.9) while the Hawks rank 27th in three pointers allowed per game (33.2).
- New Orleans ranks 12th in blocks per game (5.0) while Atlanta ranks 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Atlanta averages 19.0 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 10th in the league. New Orleans ranks 21st in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.6).
- New Orleans ranks 15th in second chance points per game (12.4) while Atlanta ranks 20th in second chance points allowed per game (13.0).
- On the road, Atlanta is 3-5-1 ATS with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- New Orleans is 3-2 ATS at home with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- Atlanta is 0-1 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while New Orleans is 2-0.
- The Hawks are 2-7 when they reach 100 points, while the Pelicans are 5-2.
- The Hawks rank fifth in steals per game (8.9) while the Pelicans rank 14th (8.2).
- New Orleans ranks fourth in assists per game (24.8) while Atlanta ranks 27th in assists allowed per game (25.4).
- The Pelicans rank second in points in the paint per game (52.3) while the Hawks rank 23rd (40.8).
- The Pelicans average 10.5 fast break points per game, which ranks 13th in the NBA. The Hawks rank 20th in fast break points allowed per game (11.7).
- New Orleans averages 46.0 rebounds per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. Atlanta ranks 27th in rebounds allowed per game (47.7).
- New Orleans is 5-0 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Atlanta is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Pelicans’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, up from 0.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 105.2 points per game (2.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.6 points per game (2.8 above their season average).