Nationwide Arena is playing host to an enticing showdown as the Columbus Blue Jackets welcome the visiting Arizona Coyotes. It’s the last time that these two clubs will go at it in the regular season. Fox Sports Arizona will showcase this East-West matchup, which gets going at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 3.
Arizona Coyotes at Columbus Blue Jackets Odds
Columbus (-120) is currently favored over Arizona (+100), and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at 6 goals. The odds for betting that total stand at -135 under, +115 over.
Arizona is 15-13 straight up (SU) and has earned 1.3 units for moneyline bettors this season. 17 of its contests have gone under the total, while 10 have gone over and just one has pushed. The Coyotes are 8-6 SU on the road in 2019-20.
Arizona has converted on 18.3 percent of its power play chances this year, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 18th in the league, and it’s successfully killed off 81.3 percent of all penalties.
Arizona, as a collective unit, has been penalized just 3.1 times per game overall this season, 2.8 per game over its last five games total, and 3.4 per game over its last five games as the visiting team. The team has been forced to kill penalties just 6.2 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Averaging 28.9 saves per game with a .935 save percentage, Darcy Kuemper (10-8-2) has been the best option in goal for Arizona this season. If head coach Rick Tocchet decides to rest him, however, the team could go with Antti Raanta (5-5-2 record, .924 save percentage, 2.66 goals against average).
Nick Schmaltz and Christian Dvorak will both look to continue their strong seasons for the visiting Coyotes. Schmaltz (20 points) is up to five goals and 15 assists, and has recorded two or more points four times. Dvorak has eight goals and eight assists to his credit (and has logged a point in 12 games).
Over on the other bench, Columbus is 11-15 straight up (SU) and has lost 3.4 units for moneyline bettors thus far. Through 26 regular season contests, 15 of its games have gone under the total, while 10 have gone over and just one has pushed. It’s 8-7 SU at home this year.
Columbus has converted on 20.5 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 17th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 81.3 percent of all opponent power plays.
Columbus skaters have been whistled for penalties only 3.2 times per game this season, 3.0 per game over their past five match ups total, and 3.4 per game over their last five at home. The team’s been forced to stave off opponent power plays just 7.5 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Joonas Korpisalo has denied 25.4 shots per game as the top option in goal for Columbus. Korpisalo has 11 wins, nine losses, and one OT loss to his name and has recorded a pedestrian 2.83 goals against average and a subpar .902 save percentage this year.
Pierre-Luc Dubois (10 goals, eight assists) and Gustav Nyquist (seven goals, 11 assists) will pace the attack for the Blue Jackets.
Arizona Coyotes at Columbus Blue Jackets Betting Predictions
Pick: SU Winner – Blue Jackets, O/U – Over
- The total has gone under in three of Columbus’ last five outings.
- The Blue Jackets are 2-5 SU in games where they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Coyotes are 7-4 SU when they serve more minutes than their opponent.
- Arizona (4-2 in shootouts this season) has more experience in games decided by shootout. Columbus fell short in its only shootout this season.
- Columbus is ranked 25th in the NHL this season with 6.7 takeaways per game. That figure has trended lower, however, as it has created 6.0 takeaways over its last 10 games and 5.8 takeaways over its last five.
- Arizona is ranked 21st in the NHL this season with 6.9 takeaways per game. That figure has trended down lately, however, as it has averaged 6.0 takeaways over its last 10 games and 6.0 takeaways over its last five.