Alex Goligoski, Nick Schmaltz, and the Arizona Coyotes will do battle against John Carlson, Alex Ovechkin, and the Washington Capitals at Capital One Arena for a cross-country showdown. The opening face-off takes place at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, November 11, and it can be caught live on NBC Sports Network.
Arizona Coyotes vs. Washington Capitals Odds
Washington (-175) is currently favored over Arizona (+155), and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at an even 6 goals. The odds for betting that total stand at -125 for the under and +105 for the over.
Washington is 13-5 straight up (SU) and has earned 7.2 units for moneyline bettors this season. That winning percentage, second-best in the NHL so far in the early season, is an improvement compared to how the team performed during last year’s regular season (48-34). Through 18 regular season matches, 13 of its games have gone over the total, while five have gone under and none have pushed. Thus far, the team is 5-3 SU at home.
The Capitals have connected on 25.0 percent of their power play chances this year, a mark that places them in the top-10 among NHL teams. On the other hand, their penalty kill is ranked 10th overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 85.1 percent of all penalties.
With a .898 save percentage and 27.2 saves per game, Braden Holtby (8-5-3) has been the principal option in goal for the Caps this season. If Washington decides to give him the evening off, however, it might roll with Ilya Samsonov (5-1-1 record, .915 save percentage, 2.38 goals against average).
Arizona has lost 0.1 units for moneyline bettors this year and is currently 9-8 straight up (SU). A total of 10 of its games have gone under the total, while six have gone over and just one has pushed. The Coyotes are 5-4 SU as a road team this season.
The Coyotes have converted on 16.7 percent of their power play opportunities this year, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 23rd overall and it’s successfully killed off 78.4 percent of all opponent power plays.
Darcy Kuemper (.930 save percentage and 2.00 goals against average) has been the primary option in goal for Arizona. Kuemper is averaging 26.5 saves per game and has seven wins and five losses to his credit.
Arizona Coyotes at Washington Capitals Free Picks
NHL Pick: SU Winner – Capitals, O/U – Over
- Six of Washington’s last ten outings have been decided by two or more goals. The team is 6-0 overall in those games.
- Penalties and power plays could have a key role in the outcome of this game. The Coyotes are 4-4 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 6-6 when they serve fewer than 10 penalty minutes, in total. The Capitals are 4-2 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 6-3 when they’re in the box for less than 10 minutes.
- Washington could hold an advantage if it’s a close one late. The team’s 6-4 in games decided by one goal, while Arizona is 3-6 in such games.
- For both of these teams, the total has gone over in four of their last five matchups.
- Arizona skaters have averaged 12.0 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 10.1 giveaways per game (ranked 14th overall).
- Washington skaters have averaged 10.8 giveaways over its last five home games, its season average of 10.2 giveaways per game (ranked 14th).
- The Caps this season have tallied the 11th-most hits in the league (22.4 per game), but the team’s averaged 26.4 over their past five games as the home team.