The Wells Fargo Center will play host to an intriguing matchup as the Arizona Coyotes head across the country to meet the Philadelphia Flyers. The match will get started at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 5, and you are able to see this cross-country matchup live on Fox Arizona Plus.
Arizona Coyotes vs. Philadelphia Flyers Odds
Philadelphia (-150) is favored over Arizona (+130) and oddsmakers have set the Over/Under (O/U) at 6 goals. If you want to play this game’s total, you’ll be looking at odds of -115 for the over and -105 on the under.
The Flyers are 16-12 straight up (SU) and have netted 4.3 units for moneyline bettors this year. That winning percentage, the third-best in the Metropolitan Division in this young season, is a welcome improvement over the 37-45 record from the 2018-19 season campaign. Through 28 regular season outings, 14 of its games have gone over the total, while an additional 14 have gone under and none have pushed. The team is 9-5 SU at home this season.
Philadelphia’s converted on 19.2 percent of its power play chances this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked third overall, and it’s successfully killed off 86.1 percent of all penalties.
As a collective unit, Philly has been penalized just 3.1 times per game overall this season, and 2.0 per game over its last five contests. The team’s had to kill penalties for just 5.6 minutes per game over its last 10 outings, in total.
Averaging 21.3 saves per game with a .910 save percentage, Carter Hart (9-9-3) has been the top goalkeeper for the Flyers this season. If they decide to give him a breather, however, head coach Alain Vigneault might go with Brian Elliott (7-7-7 record, .916 save percentage, 2.70 goals against average).
Travis Konecny and Sean Couturier will both lead the offensive attack for the Flyers. Konecny (27 points) has tallied 10 goals and 17 assists and has recorded multiple points on five separate occasions this year. Couturier has eight goals and 13 assists to his credit and has recorded at least one point in 16 games.
Arizona has earned 2.3 units for moneyline bettors this year and is currently 16-13 straight up (SU). Through 29 regular season contests, 17 of its games have gone under the total, while 11 have gone over and just one has pushed. As a road team, Arizona is 9-6 SU so far.
Arizona has converted on 19.3 percent of its power play chances this year, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 19th overall and it’s successfully killed off 80.7 percent of all penalties.
Arizona’s players have been whistled for penalties only 3.1 times per game this season, 2.6 per game over their last five outings total, and 3.2 per game over their last five games as the visiting team. The team’s had to kill penalties just 6.2 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Darcy Kuemper (.936 save percentage and 1.97 goals against average) has been the primary option in goal for Arizona. Kuemper is averaging 29.1 saves per game and owns an 11-8-2 record.
For the visiting Coyotes, the offense will be facilitated through Nick Schmaltz (five goals, 15 assists) and Alex Goligoski (two goals, 15 assists).
Arizona Coyotes vs. Philadelphia Flyers Free Picks
Free Pick: SU Winner – Coyotes, O/U – Under
- For both of these clubs, the over has hit in three of their past five outings.
- Arizona has managed 26.8 shot attempts per game over its last five road games while Philadelphia is averaging 33.4 shots per game over its last five at home.
- The Coyotes are 8-4 SU in games where they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Flyers are 5-1 SU when they spend more time in the box than the opposition.
- Two of Philadelphia’s past 10 outings have gone to a shootout. The team is 0-2 in those games and 3-5 overall in shootouts this season.
- Philadelphia has forced 8.6 takeaways per game over its last five home games, an improvement over its season average of 7.0 takeaways per game (ranked 20th in the NHL).
- Arizona has forced 5.0 takeaways per game over its last five road games, a drop-off from its season average of 6.8 takeaways per game (ranked 23rd).
- Philadelphia might hold an advantage if this one comes down to the wire. The team’s 8-6 in games decided by one goal, while Arizona is 7-9 in such games.