The Appalachian State Mountaineers (5-7) will try to put an end to their six-game road losing streak in a matchup against the Hampton Pirates (4-8) at Hampton Convocation Center. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017.
Appalachian State Mountaineers vs. Hampton Pirates Betting Preview
The Mountaineers fell to the Ohio State Buckeyes in their last contest, 80-67. Appalachian State’s Griffin Kinney had a solid performance, contributing 14 points and seven rebounds. Ohio State had a turnover percentage of 14.1 (better than their season average of 17.5). Appalachian State, on the other hand, held the Buckeyes to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.8 (below their season average of 32.7).
The last time the Pirates played, they were defeated by the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs, 80-79. With 12 points and seven rebounds, Hampton’s Malique Trent played well. Gardner-Webb held the Pirates to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.6 (below their season average of 30.1). Hampton, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-23; 73.9 percent).
There should be plenty of transition offense in this matchup that showcases two of the nations more fast-breaking teams. Hampton ranks 47th in possessions per game (74.3) and Appalachian State is 31st (75.3).
Greg Heckstall has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Hampton, averaging 11.4 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Mountaineers won the sole contest last season, 88-67. The Mountaineers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.642 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 34.6. For those same stats, the Pirates recorded marks of 0.455 and 25.7, respectively.
Appalachian State Mountaineers vs. Hampton Pirates Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Appalachian State, ATS Winner – Appalachian State, O/U – Over
- The Mountaineers rank 114th in assists per game (14.4) while the Pirates rank 121st in assists allowed per game (13.4).
- Appalachian State ranks 23rd in three pointers attempted per game (27.4) while Hampton ranks 243rd (17.5).
- The Mountaineers average 42.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 10th in the nation. The Pirates rank 195th in rebounds allowed per game (37.3).
- Appalachian State ranks 87th in blocks per game (3.8) while Hampton ranks 121st in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- The Pirates average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.2, up from 0.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mountaineers have scored an average of 76.6 points per game (9.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.4 points per game (2.4 above their season average).