The Akron Zips (4-2) will be at home in James A. Rhodes Arena when they challenge the Appalachian State Mountaineers (5-5). Action begins at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017.
Appalachian State Mountaineers vs. Akron Zips Betting Preview
In the Mountaineers last game, they lost a close one to the Western Carolina Catamounts, 72-71. Appalachian State’s Ronshad Shabazz finished with 16 points in the game. Western Carolina did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (12-15; 80.0 percent). Appalachian State, on the other hand, held the Catamounts to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.1 (below their season average of 31.5).
The Zips come in on a high note after topping the Fort Wayne Mastodons in their last outing, 83-79. With 24 points on 10-for-13 shooting, Emmanuel Olojakpoke was the top scorer from either team. Akron played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 41.7 (above their season average of 28.3) and a turnover percentage of 19.8 (better than their season average of 20.0). For those same stats, Fort Wayne put up marks of 21.9 and 24.1, respectively.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, this appears to be a balanced game. Dating back to the 2016-17 season, the Akron offense ranks 35th in the NCAA in that metric at 0.549, while the Appalachian State defense ranks 31st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.502). It will also be a tale of two paces as the up-and-down Mountaineers rank 10th in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Zips rank 272nd.
Appalachian State Mountaineers vs. Akron Zips Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Appalachian State, ATS Winner – Appalachian State, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Zips are seventh in the nation with 2.1 blocks allowed per game while the Mountaineers are 57th with 3.4 blocks allowed per game.
- Appalachian State ranks 39th in assists allowed per game (12.7) while Akron ranks 64th (11.8).
- Appalachian State ranks second in rebounds per game (39.6) while Akron ranks 223rd (34.7).
- The Zips rank 23rd in three pointers attempted per game (26.9) while the Mountaineers rank 196th in three pointers allowed per game (18.4).
- Akron ranks 124th in steals allowed per game (6.0) while Appalachian State ranks 234th (6.3).