Madison Square Garden is the site for an East-West matchup as the Anaheim Ducks take on the New York Rangers. MSG Network will broadcast the game, which gets going at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19.
Anaheim Ducks vs. New York Rangers Odds
The Rangers are 18-15 straight up (SU) and have earned 1.2 units for moneyline bettors this year. That early-season winning percentage is fairly close to the 48-34 record the team posted during the 2016-17 season campaign. Through 33 regular season outings, 19 of its games have gone over the total, while 12 have gone under and just two have pushed. The teams 13-8 SU at home this year.
New York has connected on 21.3 percent of its power play chances this year, a figure that’s good enough for sixth-best in the league. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked seventh overall, and it’s successfully killed off 83.2 percent of all penalties.
New York, as a collective unit, has been penalized just 3.6 times per game overall this season, and 2.6 per game over its last five matchups at home. The team has been forced to stave off opposition power plays for just 6.0 minutes per game over its last 10 outings, overall.
Averaging 27.9 saves per game with a .918 save percentage, Henrik Lundqvist (16-12-2) has been the best option in goal for the Rangers this year. If they, however, decide to rest him, the team might go with Ondrej Pavelec (2-6-6 record, .914 save percentage, 3.04 goals against average).
Mats Zuccarello and J.T. Miller will each be focal points for the Rangers. Zuccarello (27 points) has tallied eight goals and 19 assists and has recorded multiple points in six different games this year. Miller has six goals and 18 assists to his name and has notched at least one point in 17 contests.
Over on the other bench, Anaheim is 14-19 straight up (SU) and has lost 3.5 units for bettors taking the moneyline this year. A total of 21 of its outings have gone under the total, while 11 have gone over and just one has pushed. Anaheim’s 6-9 SU as the visiting team this season.
Anaheim has converted on 18.1 percent of its power play chances this year, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked fourth overall and it’s successfully killed off 83.7 percent of all opponent power plays.
Anaheim’s skaters have been penalized 4.8 times per game in total this season, and 3.0 per game over their last five games. The team has had to kill penalties just 7.2 minutes per game over their last five outings.
John Gibson (31.0 saves per game) has been the main option in the net for Anaheim. Gibson owns a 10-16-5 record, while registering a .921 save percentage and 2.84 goals against average this year.
Corey Perry (six goals, 16 assists) has been one of the primary facilitators on offense for the visiting Ducks.
Anaheim Ducks at New York Rangers Free Picks
Predictions: SU Winner – Rangers, O/U – Over
- The under has hit in three of New York’s last five games.
- Power plays and penalty kills could prove to be critical tonight. The Ducks are 2-7 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 7-8 when they serve fewer than 10 total penalty minutes. The Rangers are 8-5 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 12-9 when total penalty minutes are in the single digits.
- Two of Anaheim’s last ten games have gone to a shootout. The team is 0-2 in those games and 2-4 overall in shootouts this season.
- New York skaters have created 10.8 takeaways per game over its last five home games, an improvement over its season average of 10.1 takeaways per game (ranked 4th).
- Anaheim has created 7.8 takeaways per game over its last five road games, an improvement over its season average of 6.2 takeaways per game (ranked 25th overall).