The Western Illinois Leathernecks (5-2) will be at home in Western Hall when they square off with the American University Eagles (2-5). Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 6, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
American University Eagles vs. Western Illinois Leathernecks ATS Preview
The Eagles were beaten by the Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks in their last contest, 74-70. With 24 points on 10-for-19 shooting, Laurynas Motuzis was the game’s high scorer. Maryland Eastern Shore did a fantastic job of making free throws (22-29; 75.9 percent). American University, on the other hand, held the Hawks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.426 (below the 0.549 mark opponents have averaged against American University this season).
The last time the Leathernecks played, they were topped by the Miami (OH) RedHawks, 76-73. Dalan Ancrum was the games high scorer with 22 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Miami (OH) had a better free throw rate (0.167 vs. 0.090). Western Illinois, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.500 vs. 0.492).
It will be a battle of opposite styles as the up-tempo Leathernecks will look to push the more grind-it-out Eagles. Dating back to last season, the Leathernecks rank 94th in possessions per game while the Eagles are 335th. Also, the Eagles, who rank 331st in offensive rebounding percentage (22.5 percent), might struggle to get put-back points against the Leathernecks, who rank 20th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.8 percent)
The Eagles won the only contest against the Leathernecks last season, 57-50. American University’s rebounding was their biggest advantage. The Eagles had 11 offensive rebounds and 38 total rebounds, while the Leathernecks had two and 29, respectively.
American University Eagles at Western Illinois Leathernecks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – American University, ATS Winner – American University, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Leathernecks rank 151st in assists per game (13.7) while the Eagles rank 274th (11.5).
- Western Illinois is ninth in the NCAA with 2.3 blocks allowed per game while American University is 44th with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- American University ranks 91st in steals per game (6.9) while Western Illinois ranks 265th (5.0).
- The Leathernecks rank 100th in three pointers attempted per game (23.0) while the Eagles rank 252nd (18.9).
- Western Illinois ranks 188th in rebounds per game (35.4) while American University ranks 311th (28.8).