The Alcorn State Braves (4-8) can end a seven-game road losing streak when they take on the Vanderbilt Commodores (4-7) at Memorial Gym. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Alcorn State Braves vs. Vanderbilt Commodores ATS Preview
The Braves won big over the Blue Mountain College Toppers in their last game, 83-56. A.J. Mosby was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 9-for-13 shooting. Alcorn State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.585 (above their season average of 0.489) and a turnover percentage of 11.4 (better than their season average of 17.2). Blue Mountain College was 0.358 and 17.0, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Commodores played, they thoroughly outplayed the Houston Baptist Huskies, 81-48. Vanderbilt’s Jeff Roberson had a good game, recording 17 points and 10 rebounds. Vanderbilt played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.552 (above their season average of 0.457) and a free throw rate of 0.293 (below their season average of 0.330). Houston Baptist had marks of 0.270 and 0.246, respectively, for those same stats.
Vanderbilt should have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Commodores currently rank 97th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.480), while Alcorn State is 254th in effective field goal percentage (0.497).
Mosby has been solid over the last five games for Alcorn State, averaging 13.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
Alcorn State Braves at Vanderbilt Commodores Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Vanderbilt, ATS Winner – Vanderbilt, O/U – Over
- The Commodores rank 47th in three pointers allowed per game (19.2) while the Braves rank 82nd (26.0).
- Vanderbilt ranks 24th in assists allowed per game (10.6) while Alcorn State ranks 147th (15.4).
- The Commodores rank 104th in rebounds per game (37.1) while the Braves rank 211th in rebounds allowed per game (39.8).
- Vanderbilt ranks eighth in steals allowed per game (4.3) while Alcorn State ranks 113th (6.0).
- The Commodores have outscored opponents by an average of 5.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Vanderbilt has lost by an average of 0.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Braves have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (2.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.8 points per game (11.4 below their season average).