SWAC foes will collide when the Prairie View A&M Panthers (11-17, 8-6 SWAC) clash against the Alabama State Hornets (7-19, 7-7 SWAC) at William Nicks Center. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Alabama State Hornets at Prairie View A&M Panthers Free Preview
The last time the Hornets played, they won big over the Alcorn State Braves, 82-62. Jacoby Ross was the games high scorer with 19 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Alabama State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.602 (above their season average of 0.461) and a turnover percentage of 17.2 (better than their season average of 17.5). Alcorn State recorded marks of 0.438 and 23.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The Panthers are hoping for a better outcome after their 76-71 loss to the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils in their last outing. Gary Blackston was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Mississippi Valley State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 47.2 (above their season average of 29.2). Prairie View A&M, on the other hand, forced the Delta Devils into a turnover percentage of 19.7 (above their season average of 15.1).
Conflicting tempos will be on display in this contest. Prairie View A&M prefers a fast-breaking style of play (77th in possessions per game), while Alabama State is more half-court-oriented (190th in possessions per game). Ball protection could be troublesome for the Hornets. They rank 285th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 20.6 percent), while the Panthers force the 13th-most turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 23.3 percent).
These teams have already met once this season. The Panthers won 86-80. The Panthers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.468 and an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.681. The Hornets were 0.293 and 0.543, respectively, for those same stats. Reginald Gee scored a game-high 27 points.
Alabama State Hornets at Prairie View A&M Panthers Odds Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Prairie View A&M, ATS Winner – Prairie View A&M, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank 75th in blocks per game (3.9) while the Panthers rank 109th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Prairie View A&M averages 34.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 192nd in the nation. Alabama State ranks 287th in rebounds allowed per game (39.7).
- The Panthers rank 53rd in steals per game (7.3) while the Hornets rank 146th in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- Prairie View A&M ranks 204th in assists per game (12.5) while Alabama State ranks 273rd (9.7).
- The Panthers have outscored opponents by an average of 2.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Prairie View A&M has been defeated by an average of 3.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (6.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.4 points per game (13.3 below their season average).