MAC foes will clash when the Western Michigan Broncos (8-5) take on the Akron Zips (7-3) at University Arena in Read Fieldhouse. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 145.5 points with Western Michigan set as a 7-point favorite. Action gets underway at 12 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Akron Zips at Western Michigan Broncos ATS Preview
The last time the Zips played, they easily got past the Concord Mountain Lions, 86-49. With 15 points and 10 rebounds, Daniel Utomi played well for Akron. Akron played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.219) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.618 (above their season average of 0.524). For those same stats, Concord was 0.136 and 0.303, respectively.
The Broncos come in on a high note after blowing out the Chicago State Cougars in their last game, 92-71. With 27 points on 8-for-12 shooting, Josh Davis was the games leading scorer. Western Michigan played a perfect game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 34.1 (above their season average of 31.0) and a turnover percentage of 10.3 (better than their season average of 15.6). Chicago State put up marks of 12.5 and 12.9, respectively, for those same stats.
Akron could struggle to create turnovers. Western Michigan ranks 94th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.6 percent), while Akron forces the 72nd-fewest turnovers (19.2 percent).
Of Akron’s 10 games, six have finished under the O/U total, while 5 of Western Michigan’s 10 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Zips have a clear advantage. They are 7-3 SU and 5-5 ATS, while the Broncos are 8-5 SU and 4-6 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Zips won both games last season. In the most recent game, Akron won 90-80. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Akron’s largest strengths. They had 27 free throw attempts, while Western Michigan had 23.
Akron Zips at Western Michigan Broncos Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Western Michigan, ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Under
- Western Michigan is 0-3 ATS at home, while Akron is 1-4 ATS on the road.
- In 5 road games, the Zips have 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Broncos have 2 unders and 1 over in 3 home games.
- Akron averages 25.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 28th in the nation. Western Michigan ranks 242nd in three pointers allowed per game (25.8).
- The Broncos rank 41st in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Zips rank 79th (6.5).
- Akron is 17th in the NCAA with 2.9 blocks allowed per game while Western Michigan is 30th with 2.5 blocks allowed per game.
- Western Michigan is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Akron is 1-2 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- The Broncos average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.6, down from 4.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Zips have scored an average of 79.4 points per game (5.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.8 points per game (1.9 above their season average).